Posted to dev@crail.apache.org by Animesh Trivedi <an...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/26 13:23:58 UTC

Re: [JAVA] Arrow performance measurement

Hi all,

Apologies for the silence, I have been occupied. Here is the part 3 of the
investigation. This time, I compared the performance of Java and C++
readers. The benchmark is read and checksum 10 billion integers (~40GB of
data, with some null values) on a single core. You can read the full
investigation here:
https://github.com/animeshtrivedi/blog/blob/master/post/2018-11-22-arrow-cpp.md.
The best numbers that I have are (see the table at the end of the blog for
more details):

C++ (file)    : 21.5 Gbps
C++ (mmap)    : 30.4 Gbps
Java (unsafe) : 12.48 Gbps

The key insights are:

* C++ code (with file I/O) is generally 2x faster than the Java code. I
have narrowed down the profiling to JITing issues, memory management, etc.
Most of these issues are independent of Arrow (as far as I can tell). The
standalone benchmark to debug these issues is here :
https://github.com/animeshtrivedi/java-cpp-fun. The pattern of the
workloads is - (1) you have a large integer and bitmap array; (2) go over
the array, check for NULL, and sum it. In general, C++ code is 2x faster
than the Java code. Generally I understand why Java code is slow, but how
to make it faster of comparable to C++ code is what I want to know. Any
input on it is appreciated.

* C++ code has a no-null values optimization branch on the IsValid() check.
Java code can benefit from it too, but does not have this implemented. I
will open a pull request for this.

* C++ bitmap code can be optimized further by using the unsigned integers
than "int64_t" for bitmap checks, and eliminating the kBitmap. See here
https://godbolt.org/z/deq0_q - compare the size of the assembly code. And
the performance measurements in the blog show up to 50% performance gains.
Alternatively if signed to unsigned upgrade is not possible (perhaps in
every language), then in the C++ code, we should use the bitmap operations
directory ( `<<3` for division by 8, and ` & 0x7` for modulo by 8
operation), instead of `/` and `%`.

Animesh

Posted by Animesh Trivedi <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wes, sure. I opened a ticket and will do a pull request.

Cheers,
--
Animesh

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.