Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ted <te...@KI5U.net> on 2004/01/15 17:07:21 UTC

[users@httpd] Virtual directory not recognized...

Red Hat 9, kernel 2.4.20, Apache 2.0.40

I've set up 3 virtual directories, one at the primary domain name, and two
at sub-domain names.  When I access the web site at any of the addresses,
the server does not match nor recognize the http attempt.

If I do a properties on the failed page, the http address field is
correct.  If I do a httpd -t -D DUMP_HOSTS the server reports that the
server is a NameVirtualHost at the correct address and port, the primary
domain address is the default server, and that each of the virtual servers
is configured to the primary and sub domain addresses.  The ports match, as
do all other parameters.  One thing that interferes with testing is that
the domain forwarder flips over to a "Under Construction" page regardless
of settings.  it's really irritating.

I've checked the permissions for each directory and they allow access to
the directory and page.  Note: the various servers were all working
correctly as stand-alone sites before conversion to virtual.

When I access the sites via the URL's, I get no access, error, referrer, or
agent log entries.  If I access the site via http://ip:port, I get the
default page.  Is this something the domain forwarder is doing?  Should I
see something in the logs if there is no match?

I'm stumped.

Thanks for your help.

Ted

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual directory not recognized...

Posted by Ted <te...@KI5U.net>.
Hi Robert,

I knew I had a problem when I couldn't log a http event using the
sub-domain address.  They're not even forwarding anything at all.  Maybe
their servers take a week or two to pick up the changes.  I found tcpdump
and started logging the machine accesses.  I really appreciated the form of
your response...  I'll add it to my repertoire.

<rant>
    BargainName.com -> BargainName-Liars.com
    24-hour-response  -> no_response_ever
</rant>

Thanks for the help.  I think the answer is Network Solutions or some other
professional company.  I'll make sure the forwarding will support virtual
hosting before I transfer the registration.

Ted

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Ted wrote:
> The main domain is http://www.intel-source.com
> One of the sub-domains is http://sitrep.intel-source.com

You cannot do name-based virtual host together with this "domain forwarding"
crap. Name-based virtual hosts depends on that the client sends a Host:
header, containing the actual hostname.

Take a look at the source when you browse to those links above, and you will
see this:

    <frameset frameborder=0 framespacing=0 border=0 rows="100%,*">
        <frame name="TOPFRAME" src="http://66.12.9.126:26788" noresize>
    </frameset>

This is not a document servered from you, but the host that does your
"domain forwarding". As you see, it will translate the actual hostname
(www.intel-source.com) to the IP, and thus the hostname is lost and Apache
cannot distinguish them anymore.

The bottom line is, "domain forwarding" (at least done this way) is plain
silliness. Get your domains' A-record pointing directly at your computer,
which is currently pointing at your "domain forwarder".

</rant>

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual directory not recognized...

Posted by Ted <te...@KI5U.net>.
Sure...

The main domain is http://www.intel-source.com
One of the sub-domains is http://sitrep.intel-source.com

You should get an info page at the main domain and a login request at sitrep.

Is there a network monitor built-inn to RH9, or one available?

I'll look at building 2.0.48 for an updated version of the server. Is that
your recommendation?  Thank you for the help.

Ted

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.