Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Anurag Mantripragada <am...@apple.com.INVALID> on 2021/01/21 18:28:21 UTC

Support relative paths in Iceberg

Hi folks,

Pavan, Pani (cc) and I put together a design doc [1] to support relative paths in Iceberg metadata (Issue #1617 <https://github.com/apache/iceberg/issues/1617>) with three goals in mind.

Backup / Replication should not require ongoing rewrites of metadata. It is acceptable to have a single change when the first copy is performed.
No public API will change as a part of this proposal.

We have thought through a few scenarios in the doc and also included an implementation. We will glad to to consider other ideas as well.

[1] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RDEjJAVEXg1csRzyzTuM634L88vvI0iDHNQQK3kOVR0/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RDEjJAVEXg1csRzyzTuM634L88vvI0iDHNQQK3kOVR0/edit?usp=sharing>

Thanks,
Anurag

Re: Support relative paths in Iceberg

Posted by Anurag Mantripragada <am...@apple.com.INVALID>.
Hi All,

Thanks for all the initial feedback on this doc. I just wanted to bubble this up. We are looking for more feedback for this design.

Thank you for your time!

~ Anurag