Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by ma...@bodin.org on 1999/01/25 16:51:36 UTC

World's Smallest Web Server (fwd)

It's running apache. Of course.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

http://wearables.stanford.edu/

"The web page you are reading is served to you by the computer in the
photo (click on it for a closer look). (That would be the box on the left,
the one on the right is a Russian collector's item.) It is Jumptec's
DIMM-PC, a single-board AMD 486-SX computer with a 66 MHz CPU, 16 MB RAM,
and 16 MB flash ROM, big enough to hold a useful amount of RedHat 5.2
Linux including the HTTP daemon that runs the web server. At relatively
low usage levels it consumes 800 milliwatts from a 5V power supply, rising
to 2 watts at 100% CPU usage."

Re: World's Smallest Web Server (fwd)

Posted by Jim Gettys <jg...@pa.dec.com>.
Itsy also can/has run Apache.

It cranks along on a 200mhz StrongARM.

The Stanford gadget looks smaller
than Itsy (see: http://www.research.digital.com/wrl/itsy/index.html),
which has a display, on the other hand.
Itsy runs off of triple A cells, at much lower power...,
so Itsy is clearly the champ on hits/joule...

Boy, another performance metric: rather than hits/second, we get
hits/joule of energy expended...
				- Jim

Re: World's Smallest Web Server (fwd)

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU>.
On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 magnus@bodin.org wrote:

[http://wearables.stanford.edu/]

> It's running apache. Of course.

Not only that, the guy who owns it (Vaughan Pratt) is the professor who
teaches one of my CS classes. He has two, and brought one of them (the one
that's not currently serving web pages, obviously) into class today. Cute
little bugger.

He said he's having some problems with performance (as stated on the web
page). It's a 66Mhz 486 with 16MB of RAM running 20 httpds (Apache 1.2.6),
so I suspect the amount of memory is a large part of the problem. If one
of the performance folks is intruiged (it has a certain "nifty" factor to
it), I told him someone might email him (pratt@cs.stanford.edu).

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>