Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2003/06/24 18:03:02 UTC

Re: [bikeshed] --allow-overwrite ? (was: svn commit: rev 6327 - in trunk/subversion: clients/cmdline include libsvn_client)

Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:

> > Issue #1296: add --force option for svn export, so an exported
> > directory can be overwritten by a subsequent export.  Patch from
>
> Should we maybe nip the "force _what_?" question in the bud and just stop
> using --force? Maybe rename this as --allow-overwrite ?

+1.  I think --force is used way too generically all over the place.

> Here are the other '--force' users:
>
>   delete: force the removal of unversioned items
>   merge: dunno what force does here
>   move: dunno

Do others agree?  I know I've heard other people grumbling about the
overloading of "--force", don't remember who.  Anyone wanna file an
issue to rename these switches?

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
>
> > > Issue #1296: add --force option for svn export, so an exported
> > > directory can be overwritten by a subsequent export.  Patch from
> >
> > Should we maybe nip the "force _what_?" question in the bud and just stop
> > using --force? Maybe rename this as --allow-overwrite ?
>
> +1.  I think --force is used way too generically all over the place.
>
> > Here are the other '--force' users:
> >
> >   delete: force the removal of unversioned items
> >   merge: dunno what force does here
> >   move: dunno
>
> Do others agree?  I know I've heard other people grumbling about the
> overloading of "--force", don't remember who.  Anyone wanna file an
> issue to rename these switches?

As long as there's only one meaning per subcommand, I'm fine with
--force.  My recent complaints (and changes) were because of an
overlap in meanings.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 04:07:13PM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:

> > > Should we maybe nip the "force _what_?" question in the bud and just stop
> > > using --force? Maybe rename this as --allow-overwrite ?
> >
> > +1.  I think --force is used way too generically all over the place.
>
> I'm ambivalent on the main idea.
>
> But if we build this bikeshed, I think we should paint it
> --force-overwrite rather than --allow-overwrite, because I think that
> color would be more intuitive to most users.

Hmm. So if a file isn't there to be overwritten, does it put one in so it
can force an overwrite?

/me ducks

:-)

Maybe a different way to phrase it, is that the option should probably be in
passive voice (--allow-overwrite) rather than active (--force-overwrite).
You let the export do something, rather than make it do something. *shrug*

Mostly, I just want to see --force disappear. The resulting bikeshedded
names are less important to me.

Cheers,
-g

--