Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Ben Craig <be...@ni.com> on 2012/12/04 22:20:37 UTC

How should I implement multi-threaded clients and multi-threaded connections in C++?

Suppose I have a .thrift spec similar to the following:

service Slow
{
  void slowOperation(),
  void stopEverything(),
}

When my application launches, my code will establish a connection with the
server, and hold on to that connection for the lifetime of the app.  When
a user launches a dialog box from this application, I want to call
slowOperation().  If the user hits "Cancel" on the dialog, I want to run
stopEverything().  stopEverything should cause slowOperation to stop what
it is doing and complete.

I have several problems with this setup right now.  First, the
codegenerated SlowClient class isn't thread safe.  If multiple threads try
to access it at the same time, bad things will happen.  Second, as far as
I can tell, the existing servers only process messages on one thread per
connection.  That means that even if I managed to send a stopEverything()
call while a slowOperation() was in progress, the server wouldn't process
that message until the slowOperation was complete.

Does the C++ library / compiler currently have anything that can satisfy
this requirement?  I'm looking at some of the COB / Continuation OBject
stuff, but it doesn't look like it makes the SlowClient thread safe (but
maybe the AsyncChannel is supposed to be safe instead?).  It also looks
like there isn't an easy way to get this behavior for any given transport.

I'm fine adding support for this kind of use case, but I want to make sure
that nothing already exists that I've overlooked before I go down that
path.

Re: How should I implement multi-threaded clients and multi-threaded connections in C++?

Posted by Ben Craig <be...@ni.com>.
Jens,

> > Here is what I think you are suggesting:
> > service SlowRunner { ... }
> > service SlowStopper { ... }
>
> I don't think that two different services are really necessary. In fact,
> would not even recommend it for your particular case.

Yep, you're right.  Two services don't make much sense there.  Put the
stopEverything function in the SlowRunner service and I think stuff makes
sense again.

> You didn't say that in your use case description.
I apologize.  I'm trying to be helpful without pre-announcing anything
from my company.  I think I've come up with some better explanations
though.

Right now, I'm working with several cases where something that is
currently in-process needs to move out-of-process.  The in-process code
has a well defined API, and I want to keep something extremely similar to
that API where possible.  The in-process code often has sessions and
objects that can be operated on from multiple threads in a thread safe
way.  Some of these operations are I/O operations with client specified
time-outs.  These APIs provide a way to cancel a session's I/O from
another thread.

Most (but not all) of these use cases already have session objects that
would be a very reasonable place to put a thrift client.  The servers are
likely to be resource constrained though.  If at all possible, I want to
maintain the assumptions that calling code had before.  Basically, code
that wasn't serialized in-process before shouldn't be serialized in the
out-of-process case.

So I'll argue that I got separation of concerns down first :).  The API
concern was "solved" before I even started researching Thrift.  I just
want a server (and a client) that will guard the internal transport
appropriately so that one blocked request doesn't stall other, newer
requests on the same transport.

> > My desired interface is actually more like this:
> > service GenericService> {
> >   string doSomething(1: string cmd),
> > }
>
> So you are adding one interface (your command line syntax) on top of a
> different interface (Thrift)?    ;-)

Yep, Thrift is my golden hammer of choice right now. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_instrument)

It seems a lot easier to use the servers, clients, and transports as
provided in Thrift than to re-roll all of that, even if the end result
might be a little simpler and smaller.

Re: How should I implement multi-threaded clients and multi-threaded connections in C++?

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Ben,

> Here is what I think you are suggesting:
> service SlowRunner { ... }
> service SlowStopper { ... }

I don't think that two different services are really necessary. In fact, I
would not even recommend it for your particular case.

> One of the commands would be "doSlowOperation" and another
> would be "stopEverything".  There would also be per connection
> state, to service hypothetical commands like "addToQueue" and
> "removeFromQueue".

You didn't say that in your use case description. You didn't even say that
slowOperation() must be a blocking operation, I just assumed that from your
description. Let's just assume, that slowOperation() could be executed
asyncronously without problems. Then the client would not even need to wait
for it leaving the connection open all the time!

The longer I think about it, the more I would like to suggest to sketch the
entire scenario more closely to answer all those questions popping up.  How
is the queue involved with slowOperation()? Maybe slowOperation() takes work
items from a queue and processes them? If yes, why is it necessary to call
slowOperation() at all? Couldn't processing be triggered automatically by
addToQueue()? And by the way, how does the client keep track of the status
of the running operations, e.g. to visualize their progress in the UI?

> However, that seems like it is adding one session tracking
> system (instanceIDs) on top of a different session tracking
> system (connections).

There are cases where open connections are a much more scarce resource than
memory or disk space is, so this is not necessarily such a bad idea.

One should  carefully differentiate the sessions defined by some internal
state from sessions defined by a connection. The connection is just the
entry point used to access the internal state, but it does not necessarily
have the same life time as that state. The lifetime of the internal state
can easily span hundrets or thousands of established and closed connections,
all used to access the very same internal state data. And that's the first
and foremost reason why I would separate service implementation from
implementation of the logic made accessible by means of the service:
Separation of Concerns.

> My desired interface is actually more like this:
> service GenericService> {
>   string doSomething(1: string cmd),
> }

So you are adding one interface (your command line syntax) on top of a
different interface (Thrift)?    ;-)

> I'm fine if Thrift doesn't currently support such a use case, and I will
> gladly develop and contribute the support.  I have several uses for this
> threading support in my company.  I just want to make sure that I'm not
> duplicating the work that already exists in some corner of Thrift I
> haven't become familiar with yet.

Agree. Maybe someone with more expertise regarding that particular area of
the code joins the discussion, but I'm sure any contribution is welcome.

Best regards,
JensG

From:   "Jens Geyer" <je...@hotmail.com>
To:     <de...@thrift.apache.org>,
Date:   12/04/2012 04:00 PM
multi-threaded connections in C++?

Hi Ben,

just as an idea what I would be trying:

1.  extract the implementation of slowOperation() and stopEverything()
from
the service into a dedicated class and make that one threadsafe.

2. if you need only one instance of this implementation class, make it a
singleton or even a static class. if you want to have more than one in
parallel, you need a (threadsafe) container for them. In the latter case
go
to step 3, otherwise continue with 4

3. Give each implemenation instance an ID and return this ID through an
additional createOperation() method to the client. This ID must be passed
in
when slowOperation() or stopEverything() are called to locate the correct
implementation instance. Since createOperation() creates a new
implementation instance, don't forget that this instance must be deleted
afterwards.

4. modify the service methods accordingly, they now just call the
implementation and create/free the instances.

5. the client is now free to open another connection to the server to call

stopEverything(). This call sets some kind of abort flag at the
implementation instance identified through the ID. The flag ist tested
repeatedly by slowOperation().

Could that work for you?
JensG