Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Himanish Kushary <hi...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/16 19:33:29 UTC

Performance degrades on moving from desktop to blade environment

Hi,

We are in the process of moving a small Hbase/Hadoop cluster from our
development to production environment.Our development environment were few
intel desktops (8 cores CPU/8 Gigs RAM/7200 rpm disks) running centOS while
the production environment are blades with (24 cores AMD CPU/32 gigs
RAM/15000 rpm disks) AMD architecture running centOS.

Strangely the hbase performance seems to degrade after moving stuffs to the
production enviroment (suppoesed to have more horse power).We are using the
latest and default installation for cloudera version of hadoop and hbase.No
changes to memory or other parameter were done on both the environment.

Any idea what could cause this.Could the AMD architecture be the
cause.Pointers to things to look for to improve performance in the
production cluster would be really appreciated.

Note: We ran "count" from hbase shell on a huge table and found the desktops
to be performing much better. We are in the process of comparing Map-Reduces
presently.

---------------------------
Thanks & Regards
Himanish

Re: Performance degrades on moving from desktop to blade environment

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Himanish Kushary <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of moving a small Hbase/Hadoop cluster from our
> development to production environment.Our development environment were few
> intel desktops (8 cores CPU/8 Gigs RAM/7200 rpm disks) running centOS while
> the production environment are blades with (24 cores AMD CPU/32 gigs
> RAM/15000 rpm disks) AMD architecture running centOS.

Nice.

> Strangely the hbase performance seems to degrade after moving stuffs to the
> production enviroment (suppoesed to have more horse power).We are using the
> latest and default installation for cloudera version of hadoop and hbase.No
> changes to memory or other parameter were done on both the environment.
>
> Any idea what could cause this.Could the AMD architecture be the
> cause.Pointers to things to look for to improve performance in the
> production cluster would be really appreciated.
>
> Note: We ran "count" from hbase shell on a huge table and found the desktops
> to be performing much better. We are in the process of comparing Map-Reduces
> presently.

Recheck the required configurations --
http://hbase.apache.org/book/notsoquick.html#requirements -- and I'm
sure you've see the perf section:
http://hbase.apache.org/book/performance.html

Otherwise, can you check the systems?  Perhaps there is a badly
configured network driver or disk controller on the new hardware?  Do
some basic sanity checks that the blades are working as advertised.

Good luck,
St.Ack

Re: Performance degrades on moving from desktop to blade environment

Posted by Jack Levin <ma...@gmail.com>.
We had issues of moving into 32 core AMD box also.  The issue was
revolving around datanode getting slow after about 12 hours.  What you
need to do is check fsreadlatency_ave_time graph, if it appears spiky
then you have a problem with IO, next get a graph of "Runnable
Threads"  they should be flatlining, if they are spiking you might
have IO/Memory contention.  Run RAM tests head to head, we found our
32 Core ECC RAM would always underperform while using sysbench, by a
large margin.

-Jack

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Jack Levin <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Himanish, it hard to say without trend graphs.  Setup ganglia and get
> fsreadlatancy, as well as thread count graphs to see what the issue
> might be.

You might wanna setup OpenTSDB instead of Ganglia, it would give more
fine grained details as well as more system metrics out of the box.
</shamelessplug>

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com

Re: Performance degrades on moving from desktop to blade environment

Posted by Jack Levin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Rottinghuis, Joep" <jr...@ebay.com>.
Hi Himanish,

This is a phenomon I've seen before, but not in the context of HBase.
We had web-service calls with sub-second response times on desktops. When moving to a blade environment we had spikes of up to 20 seconds.
In that case it turned out that we had verbose logging turned on. The dev desktop had reasonable performance, but the disk in the blade server had terrible write performance. Ops guys mentioned that those disks were means for the OS which was expected to do little writes.

Could be completely unrelated, but this is what we saw.
You may want to compare IOPS in both environments.

Also, are the memory settings the same on both? (larger memory in prod could result in more GC overhead).

Cheers,

Joep

Posted by Himanish Kushary <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Himanish Kushary <hi...@gmail.com>.
*PRODUCTION SERVER CPU INFO*

Posted by Jack Levin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Himanish Kushary <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Himanish Kushary <hi...@gmail.com>.
[...]

11/05/16 01:25:01 INFO fs.TestDFSIO: Test exec time sec: 51.117

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.