Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Tom and Judy McInctyre <13...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/20 02:04:06 UTC

excel seems to have taken over my data

All my files in Open Office Calc, (I believe it is called) going back 5 or
6 years are now shown to be in Excel but do not have any data in them
except underline
The system I have is (unfortunately) Windows 10

Re: excel seems to have taken over my data

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Tom and Judy

You have posted in the developer's mailing list.
In the future if you need assistance please post your questions at https://forum.openoffice.org/

>     All my files in Open Office Calc, (I believe it is called) going back 5 or
>     6 years are now shown to be in Excel but do not have any data in them
>     except underline
>     The system I have is (unfortunately) Windows 10

Your best option to check what is wrong is to install a Portable version of Apache OpenOffice
https://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
and open your files to make sure all data is there.

If all is well and you  prefer to continue to use OpenOffice as your default Office suite you can install the latest version after downloading from
http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

Best regards
Pedro

Re: excel seems to have taken over my data

Posted by David Robley <ro...@gmail.com>.
Probably a Windows update has changed the file associations for those
files to MS Office instead of OpenOffice. Try changing the file
associations back to OpenOffice.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-browser-program-windows-10
is a link with pictures showing ways of changing default programs in Win 10.

go to http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html As a courtesy I
have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the mailing list. Do
Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
<us...@openoffice.apache.org> - replies to my personal email address
will be ignored.

On 20/3/19 12:34 pm, Tom and Judy McInctyre wrote:
> All my files in Open Office Calc, (I believe it is called) going back 5 or
> 6 years are now shown to be in Excel but do not have any data in them
> except underline
> The system I have is (unfortunately) Windows 10

Cheers
--
David Robley

Nothing is as inevitable as a mistake whose time has come