Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Steve Comstock <st...@trainersfriend.com> on 2008/06/30 00:35:26 UTC

libtool

Greg Ames wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Steve Comstock
> <st...@trainersfriend.com> wrote:
>
>> Isn't the correct solution to fix autoconf so it's
>> aware of z/OS? It doesn't seem right to have multiple
>> versions of a single function, but rather to have
>> one function that supports multiple platforms.
>
> GNU autoconf for z/OS works fine, it just creates additional
> complexity/challenges beyond the httpd 1.3 build system.
>
>> Same goes for libtool.
>
> GNU libtool for z/OS doesn't work well at all, at least not for
> building httpd-2.x.  Sure, the ideal solution would be to fix it.  But
> it is GPLed which means that for all practical purposes, I can't work
> on it.  Even if I could, it is pretty complex and has more
> functionality than we need/use for Apache httpd, and as far as I know,
> lacks knowledge of z/OS things like exports files and how shared
> objects work on this platform.  So it was simpler for us to create our
> own libtool tailored for httpd/apr.
>
> Greg

OK. But...

the Apache 2.0 on OS/390 page says to get the non-GNU libtool
(never says where to put it nor how to install it; but I can
make that up).

Later it says to run .buildconf

Never says to run or use libtool. Why get libtool?

For that matter, the page says to get autoconf and m4 and
never refers to them again. So why get them? Do I need
them? Do I use them? How or where?

----

Earlier you wrote:

./buildconf is where libtoolize is done which is necessary.  I don't
*think* you need the rest of buildconf, but we always run buildconf so
that might be the path of least resistance.

--

More mystery. "libtoolize"? What is libtoolized? Where is it used
afterwards?

-----------

So, I've got the non-GNU libtool, unwound it into
/usr/lpp/zApache, which creates /usr/lpp/zApache/libtool
which contains install instructions:

Installation of this libtool on OS/390:

1) unpack the tarball via pax since the contents are ASCII
2) make
3) export LIBTOOL_PREFIX=xxx     (e.g., /usr/local)
4) make install

what prefix should I use? /usr/lpp/zApache or
/usr/lpp/zApache/libtool?

to me, the instructions are ambiguous. I'm gonna'
guess /usr/lpp/zApache.

----------------

OK. Seems to have gone OK. Guess I'm ready to run buildconf

ARRRRRRRGGGGGG:

ADMINS:/Z19/usr/lpp/zApache/httpd-2.2.9: >./buildconf
found apr source: srclib/apr
found apr-util source: srclib/apr-util
rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: python not found.
            You need python installed
            to build APR from SVN.
./buildconf failed for apr

python? I need to install python? How come the docs don't
mention this?

Help again.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==