Posted to dev@shardingsphere.apache.org by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> on 2018/11/21 15:01:53 UTC

Recommand to open `Squash and merge` as default merge in GitHub repo

Hi, initial committer

I have known, we are going to move the repos. I think we could expect ShardingSphere will have more and more contributors from out of initial committer team. In our Apache releases, we need to provide CHANGELOGS, ref SkyWalking's[1]. We should make commit logs matching the issues and changelogs.

Also, in the future, we need to evaluate new committer and PPMC, `squash and merge`makes your commits[2] list more reliable. Because in my personal experiences, some one will submit a lot of commits in PR. Others will rebase, especially the one has more open source experiences. Make commits at least equal the number of PR merged.

Of course, this is only my suggestion.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/blob/5.x/CHANGES.md
[2] https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere/graphs/contributors

------------------
Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking & Sharding-Sphere

Re: Recommand to open `Squash and merge` as default merge in GitHub repo

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
That is based on review, I think. No better way. But I need to be clear, commits number is just couls help evaluation, not the metric, definitely not a rule.. Such as in SkyWalking, we have committer with very little codes contribution. Even, we may promote someone just for helping community, with no codes.

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking, Sharding-Sphere

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: zhangliang@apache.org <zh...@apache.org>
Date: Thu,Nov 22,2018 10:41 AM
To: dev <de...@shardingsphere.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Recommand to open `Squash and merge` as default merge in GitHub repo

Good suggestion!
We can try to use milestone to management issues and use `squash and merge`
for the pull request.

One question for `squash and merge` for the pull request. If committer find
some codes or documents are missing, but the pr has already merged, any
suggestion for this situation?

------------------
Liang Zhang
Apache Sharding-Sphere & Dubbo

吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> 于2018年11月21日周三 下午11:02写道:

Posted by "zhangliang@apache.org" <zh...@apache.org>.
Good suggestion!

Posted by "zhangliang@apache.org" <zh...@apache.org>.
Yes, right now ShardingShpere always use `dev` branch, and other branch
just for temporary proposal. We can try to use `squash and merge`.

Liang Zhang (John)
Apache Sharding-Sphere & Dubbo

Sheng Wu <wu...@apache.org> 于2018年11月22日周四 下午3:19写道:

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@apache.org>.