Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> on 2017/01/09 23:21:21 UTC

[IT MNG-5958]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Commit to review is here:

<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=8852538208e508fdc7b58d6332ca683bfc0c9373>

If no one objects until Friday, 13th, 2017, I'll merge it to master.

Christian

Re: [IT MNG-5958]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 01/16/17 um 00:06 schrieb Anton Tanasenko:
> I've submitted the PR for MNG-5958 branch.
> Changed the existing 5805 IT to work for 3.3.9 only ('phases' syntax), and
> duplicated it to a one that works with 3.3.9+ ('lifecyclePhases' syntax).

Thanks. I just committed this to the MNG-5958 branch. Should I start a
second thread for review?

Posted by Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>.
I've submitted the PR for MNG-5958 branch.
Changed the existing 5805 IT to work for 3.3.9 only ('phases' syntax), and
duplicated it to a one that works with 3.3.9+ ('lifecyclePhases' syntax).

> Am 01/11/17 um 15:05 schrieb Anton Tanasenko:
> > I'll submit a PR in these couple of days, if it waits a little bit.
>
> No hurry here.

Anton.

Re: [IT MNG-5958]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>.
I'll submit a PR in these couple of days, if it waits a little bit.

> Am 01/10/17 um 09:30 schrieb Anton Tanasenko:
> > 3.3.9 (in 5805) introduced an additional syntax for specifying lifecycle
> > goals as
> dependencies/></mojo</mojos</...></lifecyclePhases>'
> > in addition to '<phases><...>[goals as text]</...></phases>', but due to
> > implementation, it was also supported using the 'phases' parent node and
> > the test was using that one as well.
> > This broke binary compatibility, which is fixed in 5958, but as a
> > side-effect, 'phases' node can no longer be used for the new syntax.
> >
> > If strictly following the rules that you brought up, the test for 5805
> > should really be duplicated and changed to use the new syntax starting
> > 3.5.0, but to be honest, I'm not sure if it's really worth it.
>
> Adding/updating ITs without review has led to ITs testing
> incorrect/unexpected behaviour which is hard to change. Having the old
> test unchanged with an upper bound and a new test in paralle testing the
> expected/new/correct behaviour helps to track what behaviour got
> invalidated by what release. It's not that much extra work since you can
> copy the old test over to a new class and just need to change some bits
> to make it fit. Please either create a pull request or attach a patch in
> JIRA. When it comes to the core IT repository, things cannot be changed
> without discussion. In fact, this is what required to reset various
> branches. I'll add a link to this thread in the commit message so that
> everyone kicking in months later can read about why things are the way
> the are.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christian

Anton.

Re: [IT MNG-5958]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
I remember MNG-5805 and noticed the change of the signature. I expected
this code to be Maven-internal only, so it looked fine to me. Now it seems
it is not.

We had the same issue when improving toolchains, which required a
signature change as well (being able to merge global with user
toolchains). The assumption was that maven-toolchains-plugin was the only
plugin using this specific code, so we adjusted it to make it compatible
with both signatures. Again there was another thirdparty maven-plugin
hitting the same issue.

I think we should accept there are 2 signatures in the world now. On the
plugin side there's always extra handling to be done, either refuse
certain Maven versions or cope with both signatures.

Since the damage is already done and because the change gives you more
info instead of less, I would advice to keep the code as-is and to provide
a little code-example to solve this with reflection.

And yes, this still means we need to create ITs for both situations.

Robert

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
>
> > what it was intended to test, then it is fine to change that test
>

> > That the new version of the test will pass on 3.3.9 doesn't because of
> some
>
> > side effect is not a valid reason to change an existing test.
>

> > The test was run against 3.3.9 and 3.3.9 was released with that test
>
> > passing, unless you are absolutely certain that the test is a
>
> > false-positive or false-negative, we do not change the test (other than
>
> > range activation) rather we duplicate the test (second one being _mk2 or
>
> > something like that) and ensure that the duplicate has a different range
>
> > activation
>

> > HTH
>

> > On 10 January 2017 at 07:32, Stephen Connolly <
>
> > stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > So 5805 should be marked as only for [3.3.9] and then copy it for the

Sent from my phone

Re: [IT MNG-5958]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> activation
>
> HTH
>
> On 10 January 2017 at 07:32, Stephen Connolly <
> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So 5805 should be marked as only for [3.3.9] and then copy it for the
> > rephrased version
> >
> > On Tue 10 Jan 2017 at 06:17, Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Looks about right.
> >>

> >> Stephen, the change to MNG-5805 test as part of MNG-5958 was
> intentional,
> >>
> >> since I broke binary compat in the initial implementation of the
> feature.
> >>
> >> The changed test should also work with 3.3.9 which supported both
> 'phases'
> >>
> >> and 'lifecyclePhases' for the extended config, while after MNG-5958 one
> >>
> >> should only use 'lifecyclePhases' for that.

Anton.

Re: [IT MNG-5958]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I'll rephrase.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Looks about right.
>

> Stephen, the change to MNG-5805 test as part of MNG-5958 was intentional,
>
> since I broke binary compat in the initial implementation of the feature.
>
> The changed test should also work with 3.3.9 which supported both 'phases'
>
> and 'lifecyclePhases' for the extended config, while after MNG-5958 one
>
> should only use 'lifecyclePhases' for that.

> > Hi,
>

> > forgot to add those email addresses in the CC. Sending it again with the
>
> > authors in the CC.

> > 8852538208e508fdc7b58d6332ca683bfc0c9373/core-it-support/
>
> > core-it-plugins/mng5805-extension/src/main/resources/
>
> > META-INF/plexus/components.xml

> > range

> > > I am only the committer. I'll try to bring the authors of the commits
>
> > > into the discussion.
>

> > > Issue: <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5958>.
>

> > > Commit in the core:
>
> > > <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=
>
> > 71ada08978c78d3b1416f0cf4f63942dddb171d9>
>

> > > author        Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>
>
> > >       Wed, 6 Jan 2016 12:23:06 +0100 (11:23 +0000)
>

> > > Commit to the ITs:
>
> > > <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-
>
> > integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=8852538208e508fdc7b58d6332ca68
>
> > 3bfc0c9373>
>

> > > author        Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>
>
> > >       Thu, 7 Jan 2016 03:01:28 +0100 (04:01 +0200)
>

> > > Issue introducing the IT which needs to be changed:
>
> > > <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5805>
>

> > > Commits to the core:
>
> > > <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=
>
> > 3677220f6e499e97f2b47b0593bc394b689d14d6>
>

> > > author        Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>
>
> > >       Sun, 19 Jul 2015 22:01:50 +0100 (00:01 +0300)
>

> > > <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=
>
> > 9f7971dadbec8882b4c119345494b620d3a1f897>
>

> > > author        Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>
>
> > >       Sat, 1 Aug 2015 15:02:52 +0100 (17:02 +0300)
>

> > > Commits to the ITs due to this:
>
> > > <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-
>
> > integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=63656ffd5cd9c5287715336a5f91ba
>
> > f27c8360f1>
>

> > > author        Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>
>
> > >       Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:50:37 +0100 (00:50 +0300)
>

> > > <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-
>
> > integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=ef7b0d378305ab62aa7b3824b80858
>
> > 8e5cb1a11e>
>

> > > author        Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>
>
> > >       Mon, 27 Apr 2015 22:58:32 +0100 (00:58 +0300)
>

> > > The author of the IT being changed appears to be the same author who
>
> > > contributed the initial version.
>

> > > +1 from me (committer) for the change.
>

> > > Regards,
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Anton.
>
> --
Sent from my phone

Re: [IT MNG-5958]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>.
Looks about right.

> [...]

> >       Sun, 19 Jul 2015 22:01:50 +0100 (00:01 +0300)
> >
> > <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven.git;a=commit;h=
> 9f7971dadbec8882b4c119345494b620d3a1f897>
> >
> > author        Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>
> >       Sat, 1 Aug 2015 15:02:52 +0100 (17:02 +0300)
> >
> > Commits to the ITs due to this:
> > <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-
> integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=63656ffd5cd9c5287715336a5f91ba
> f27c8360f1>
> >
> > author        Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>
> >       Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:50:37 +0100 (00:50 +0300)
> >
> > <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-
> integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=ef7b0d378305ab62aa7b3824b80858
> 8e5cb1a11e>
> >
> > author        Anton Tanasenko <at...@gmail.com>
> >       Mon, 27 Apr 2015 22:58:32 +0100 (00:58 +0300)
> >
> > The author of the IT being changed appears to be the same author who

Anton.

Re: [IT MNG-5958]: Please review integration test for MNG-5958

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Hi,

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

On Mon 9 Jan 2017 at 23:21, Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it> wrote:

> Commit to review is here:
>

> <
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-integration-testing.git;a=commit;h=8852538208e508fdc7b58d6332ca683bfc0c9373
> >

> If no one objects until Friday, 13th, 2017, I'll merge it to master.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
>
> Christian

Sent from my phone