Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr> on 2006/02/27 17:08:23 UTC

Absolute 'file:' URI scheme bug on Windows?

  Hi

  I'm using the following to access an SVG file on a Windows
server:

    <fo:external-graphic src="url('file:/C:/...')"/>

See the value of the URI (i.e. 'file:/C:/...').  If I use a
relative URI, starting for example by '../', no problem.
But with the above URI the file is not found, and I get the
following error message:

    FONode.Image not available: url('file:/C:/.../xx.svg')

  The problem is that this URI is generated by the XPath 2.0
function 'fn:resolve-uri()' (Saxon 8.6.1, but I think this
behaviour is herited from a standard Java class).

  Which is wrong, which is right?  FOP or Saxon?

  Thanks for your help.  Regards,

--drkm

Re: Absolute 'file:' URI scheme bug on Windows?

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Both url(file:/C:/......) and url(file:///C:/......) work fine in FOP
> 0.91beta.

  Mmh, yes, I just checked this on a local directory.  Maybe related to
the file permissions, I don't know.  I'll investigate further.

  Thanks, and sorry for the noise,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

On 27.02.2006 17:08:23 Florent Georges wrote:
>   Hi
>
>   I'm using the following to access an SVG file on a Windows
> server:
>
>     <fo:external-graphic src="url('file:/C:/...')"/>
>
> See the value of the URI (i.e. 'file:/C:/...').  If I use a
> relative URI, starting for example by '../', no problem.
> But with the above URI the file is not found, and I get the
> following error message:
>
>     FONode.Image not available: url('file:/C:/.../xx.svg')
>
>   The problem is that this URI is generated by the XPath 2.0
> function 'fn:resolve-uri()' (Saxon 8.6.1, but I think this
> behaviour is herited from a standard Java class).
>
>   Which is wrong, which is right?  FOP or Saxon?
>
>   Thanks for your help.  Regards,
>
> --drkm

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Absolute 'file:' URI scheme bug on Windows?

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.
Manuel Mall wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 March 2006 08:10, Florent Georges wrote:

> >   I'll try tomorrow (as I can't reproduce the problem
> > outside the server).  But as I said, the URI is
> > generated by Saxon, by using the XPath 2.0
> > fn:resolve-uri().  So I can't really change the format
> > of the URI.

> What are the argument(s) you use to the call of
> fn:resolve-uri()? If you use the single argument version
> what is the value of base-uri against which you are
> resolving?

  Mmh, I don't think it's meaningfull here, because the
resulting URI is correct.  Here is the call:

    resolve-uri('rsrc/logo.svg')

where the 'rsrc' directory is relative to the one the XSLT
script belongs to.  And the result is the correct URI (well,
the path is correct, and I think "file:/D:/" is correct
too):

    file:/D:/.../xsl/rsrc/logo.svg

  And I think the example FO document I provided in a
(independently of the way the URI is generated), IMHO.

  The fact that I use fn:resolve-uri() just means that I
don't have all control on the format of the URI.  But maybe
it's this function that is bugged, I'm not a URI guru ;-)

  Thanks for your response.  Regards,

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
On Wednesday 01 March 2006 08:10, Florent Georges wrote:
> Manuel Mall wrote:
>
>   I'll try tomorrow (as I can't reproduce the problem outside the
> server).  But as I said, the URI is generated by Saxon, by using the
> XPath 2.0 fn:resolve-uri().  So I can't really change the format of
> the URI.

What are the argument(s) you use to the call of fn:resolve-uri()? If you
use the single argument version what is the value of base-uri against
which you are resolving?

Manuel

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Easily fixed when I know where to look. Thanks for tracking
> it down. It's fixed in FOP Trunk now:

  Perfect.  Thanks for the quick reply.

> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=381978&view=rev

  Even simplified ;-)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Easily fixed when I know where to look. Thanks for tracking it down.
It's fixed in FOP Trunk now: http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=381978&view=rev

On 01.03.2006 11:21:08 Florent Georges wrote:
> Florent Georges wrote:
>
> >   The reported unknown host is not the drive letter in the
> > URI, but the drive letter of the base URI.  I'm not sure if
> > it's expected.
>
>   Ok, I think I found how to reproduce the bug, and
> understand it, but I'm not sure exactly where belongs the bug
> in FOP.  If you add "<base>./</base>" in your FOP config
> file, you get the following info on stdout:
>
>     Base URL set to: file://C:/...
>
>   Note the format of the URI.  "C" is the host name.  So I
> guess the relative URIs file:/C:/... is correctly handled,
> but relatively to the wrong "C" host name found in the base
> URI, IMHO.
>
>   But from here, I can't go further (I don't know the source
> of FOP).  Hope that helps.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Absolute 'file:' URI scheme bug on Windows?

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.
Florent Georges wrote:

> Manuel Mall wrote:

> > Try if file:///C:/test/logo.svg works. That should
> > remove any ambiguity about what is the path and what is
> > the hostname in the URL.

>   I'll try tomorrow (as I can't reproduce the problem
> outside the server).  But as I said, the URI is generated
> by Saxon, by using the XPath 2.0 fn:resolve-uri().  So I
> can't really change the format of the URI.

>   If I remember well, I gave also:

>     java.net.UnknownHostException: C

> when trying to use a file in the D: drive (file:/D:/...).
> Maybe the base URI?  I'll try to test some combinations of
> base URIs, drives and URI formats.

  Mmh, strangely enough, you was right.  file:///C:/... and
file:///D:/... are working, not file:/C:/... nor file:/D:/...
Once again, this occurs only on the server, not on my local
station, so I guess it's related to the version of the JRE or
some library (FOP are both 0.91beta).

  I modified the initial example to access the following
URIS:

    logo.svg
    file:/C:/test/logo.svg
    file:///C:/test/logo.svg
    file:/D:/test/logo.svg
    file:///D:/test/logo.svg

and copy this file in both C:/test and D:/test.  Here are the
error output I get on C:/test/url-win.fo:

    Error with opening URL '/C:/test/logo.svg': C
    java.net.UnknownHostException: C

    Image not available: url('file:/C:/test/logo.svg')
    Error with opening URL '/D:/test/logo.svg': C
    java.net.UnknownHostException: C

    Image not available: url('file:/D:/test/logo.svg')

and on D:/test/url-win.fo:

    Error with opening URL '/C:/test/logo.svg': D
    java.net.UnknownHostException: D

    Image not available: url('file:/C:/test/logo.svg')
    Error with opening URL '/D:/test/logo.svg': D
    java.net.UnknownHostException: D

    Image not available: url('file:/D:/test/logo.svg')

  The reported unknown host is not the drive letter in the
URI, but the drive letter of the base URI.  I'm not sure if
it's expected.

  I'm completely lost here :-(

  Any idea?

  Thanks, regards,

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

On 27.02.2006 17:20:54 Florent Georges wrote:
> Florent Georges wrote:
>
> >   I'm using the following to access an SVG file on a Windows
> > server:
>
> >     <fo:external-graphic src="url('file:/C:/...')"/>
>
>   Sorry, I forgot to specify the version I use: FOP 0.91beta.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: Absolute 'file:' URI scheme bug on Windows?

Posted by Florent Georges <da...@yahoo.fr>.