Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/24 08:33:38 UTC

[pulse] A lab or an incubator? Was: Lab request: Pulse

Hello, Bernd,
Thanks for a quick answer.

Well, we do have a working code base, that's correct. I might perceive
things as too complex having concerns about a gap between working code
and the code which can be committed to the Apache subversion. Our code
might (and likely was)  tainted by cut&pasted samples, open source
fragments and third party inclusions with unknown authors and
uncertain licensing models. If I would understand how to define
questionable code and would remove the code, then this would result in
the broken code base. There are minor issues like comments in Russian
as well.

My approach to avoid the licensing mess is writing from scratch. I
plan moving an ongoing development to Apache and envision building new
modules as pluggable APL-licensed libraries which then can be reused
by the multiple-licensed project. Another goal is to import the code
under different licenses using a build system rather then mixing all
the code in the phone code base. Such build system have to be
developed from scratch as well. That is I plan to use the labs for.

I'm CCing this letter to general.AT.incubator.apache.org hoping to
attract incubationers attention to the discussion and get your opinion
whether it worth to start incubation or lab for the Pulse project, see
the project description below. I have passed Apache Harmony incubation
led by Geir, and have to admit openly that we are currently less
prepared for it than Intel and IBM were. As the first step I have to
find a anti-plagiarism tool reliable enough to detect GPL
contamination and copied samples from code guru web sites. Could
anyone share any tool which is preferably free for Apache committers?

As for JIRA usage, I mean the following problem. As I've already said,
I cannot see how to open the code for the whole project at once. Now
imagine, that bugs opened for opened components would use Apache JIRA,
bugs for closed components would use our internal Bugzilla, and some
bugs during resolution would travel between two these tracking
systems. I personally believe it would be nice to have all new bugs
stored in one place. I don't think that allowing people keeping all
bugs in JIRA would be an abuse for Apache because I don't expect heavy
bug traffic. We have 45 issues so far.

As for the binary, I got the point on careful naming. We may re-use
Harmony "snapshot build" term to name it carefully.
Thanks!

With best regards, Alexei

Re: [pulse] A lab or an incubator? Was: Lab request: Pulse

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bertrand,
The point is clear. I will look into incubation possibilities for the
whole project. Let me as if folks on the list think that
the project [1] is interesting and may consider contributing in any way?

Meanwhile if I have an ongoing new development I will ask for a
lab with a clear technical scope, e.g. "creating an ant script for
bundling openh323 with pwlib and opal" or "writing utilities for
saving/loading avi files".

All, Merry Christmas!

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avOVE2BbPHE

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Alexei,

> I also think that a lab is not well suited to your project's scope and
> goals - I'm just quoting the above excerpt where you talk about a
> "product", and that's not what labs are meant for IMHO, they're meant
> for experiments. You also seem to need an issue tracker of your own,
> and binary releases - that's not labs.
>
> I would suggest going for the incubator, assuming you can form a small
> community of interested people and mentors. If not, starting outside
> Apache but with the Apache way of working, and coming back to incubate
> a bit later, might be an option.
>
> -Bertrand

С уважением,
Алексей Федотов,
ЗАО «Телеком Экспресс»

Re: [pulse] A lab or an incubator? Was: Lab request: Pulse

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Alexei,