Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Sean Carrick <se...@pekinsoft.com> on 2023/02/10 16:38:22 UTC

How To Add a Custom Bug Report Feature to ErrorManager or Exceptions

Hey All!

I am working on an NBP application and am wondering how I can create a
custom "Submit Bug Report" action when using the ErrorManager or
Exceptions APIs.

Basically, I moved all of my projects from GitHub to GitLab because of a
certain feature offered by the latter: Service Desk. This feature allows
for anonymous bug reports to be submitted to a special email address for
the project's issues tracking system.

In my standard J2SE/Swing applications, I have an error handling API
that provides a button on the error message that allows the user to
submit a bug report. When the user chooses to do so, s/he:

 1. Clicks the "Submit Bug Report" button on the error message
     1. This starts a bug report wizard to gather information
 2. Steps through the bug report wizard, which:
     1. Gathers system information
     2. Gathers Java information
     3. Gathers application log files
     4. Requests information from the user, such as:
         1. Expected results
         2. Actual results
         3. Steps to reproduce the error
 3. Clicks the "Submit" button at the end of the wizard, which:
     1. Creates an email message:
         1. Exception class and message becomes the title of the email,
            with "[BUG] " prepended to it
         2. User-provided information becomes the body of the email
         3. Gathered system and Java information is placed below the
            user-provided data in the email body
         4. Gathered application log files are attached to the email
     2. Opens the transport layer
     3. Sends the email to my GitLab Service Desk, which causes an Issue
        to be opened in the issue tracker

Now that I am developing a larger application on the NBP, I am unsure of
how to provide this same functionality. I figure that I will need to
implement something in the API, but I have no idea of where to start
looking to figure out what to implement or override.

Any suggestions and pointers are greatly appreciated. Thank you in
advance for your assistance.

-Sean C.

Re: How To Add a Custom Bug Report Feature to ErrorManager or Exceptions

Posted by Sean Carrick <se...@pekinsoft.com>.
Patrik,

Thank you very much! That is perfect!

My Google search game must need some work, because that link did not
come up in my searches at all. I truly appreciate your assistance on
this question.

-Sean C.

Posted by Patrik Karlström <pa...@trixon.se>.
Might this help?

Posted by Sean Carrick <se...@pekinsoft.com>.
Michael,

I know what you're saying. I had changed the JDK for the project to
JDK19, but for some reason it didn't take...No worries, I don't mind
developing in 11 and have been practically since it came out...

-SC

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Carrick <se...@pekinsoft.com>.
Scott,

I didn't really configure it...I just set the project's Java Platform to
JDK 19, then set the target source to 17. When I compiled it, the
compiler said, "source target 17 is not supported" (or some such
thing...I've slept since then 😉). So, I reduced the target source to 16
with the same results, then 15...when I got to 11, there was no such
error, so I just switched the project back to using JDK 11. It's no big
deal because I don't use the Java enhancements all that much, I was just
hoping to be able to use that nifty Record deal that began being
previewed in JDK 14 and became permanent in JDK 16. Needing to do the
boilerplate coding to create my JavaBeans is not a big deal to me
because I've been doing that for a little over 20 years now anyway, so
it's second nature...Plus, I use the IDE features and have the IDE put
in the getter/setter, equals, hashcode, and toString boilerplate code
anyway, so it's not like it would have saved me all that much anyway.😁

If you know of the best way (a link to a document or something) to
reconfigure the project to use the latest JDK when I started it with JDK
11, I would be more than excited to check it out. Like I said, that
Record deal seems pretty cool to me...well, plus the other enhancements
that have been made, but that record keyword is just super intriguing to
me for some reason.

-SC

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
That's strange.