Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Tommy Holm - TELMORE <to...@telmore.dk> on 2004/04/26 14:03:10 UTC

SV: Application.resources reload Sorry - I mean Application.properties and any other bundle

Posted by Marco Mistroni <mm...@waersystems.com>.
Hi,

>That said, remember that Struts is open-source software, and I doubt
>it's such that you could never design a mechanism for reloading
>resource files.  (Personally, I think it would be kind of cool to use
>JMX to expose the Struts core to external administration, but I

wow! I'd love the idea....i'd give my own time for free for
something like that.
But the only useful use of that would be to reload plugin
Properties..., coz generally
Beans, actions and mappings don't look like things that you modify
constantly
My 2 cents

Regards
	Marco

Re: SV: Application.resources reload Sorry - I mean Application.properties and any other bundle

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>Hi
>Is there any proper way of reloading the ressource files used with
>struts. We have a lot of different files that are edited fairly often
>and it's very important that we don't have to restart the servers for
>our applications to acknowledge  the changes to the resourcebundles ?
>Thanks and cheers

This is a frequently requested feature, but the short answer is no.
I imagine that if you search the mailing list archives, you'll find
at least one or two fairly detailed explanations of why this is the
case.

That said, remember that Struts is open-source software, and I doubt
it's such that you could never design a mechanism for reloading
resource files.  (Personally, I think it would be kind of cool to use
JMX to expose the Struts core to external administration, but I
barely even know what I mean by that, let alone how to do it!)  If
you have some ideas about how to get there, feel free to bring them
up (the dev-list may be a better place for that discussion.)

Note that even if no obvious solution to this problem appears, you'll
probably learn a lot about Struts (and webapps in general) by doing
the investigation, and you may come up with some other ideas about
how Struts could be improved...

And if you figured out how to have live reloading of Struts apps,
you'd be a hero to all the folks who'd asked for this feature in the
past!

Joe

--
Joe Germuska