Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Doug Leeper <do...@yahoo.com> on 2007/11/20 20:14:41 UTC

Struts/Tiles to Wicket

I am in the process of porting an existing struts/tiles to wicket.  While I
have used Struts, I have not used Tiles.  From what I gather, Wicket can do
the same functionality as Tiles via Border components.  I will assume that
this is the way to go.  If not please, advise what is the best approach.

In a nutshell, the app uses a URL attribute to signify who the caller is and
subsequently what template should be used.  I believe this is standard
protocol as I have never had to do this functionality.  Now each template
will look differently(colors/positioning) and possibly have different
functionality available depending to the user.

Questions I have are:
- Can this actually be done with Borders?
- As a separate Border "template" will be created per user, how does one
organize their information and locate the particular Border, i.e.
Class.forName( "com.xxx.app.wicket.template.r" + user.getId() +
".LoginBorder" ).newInstance();
- Are there any working examples that are available?  The Border example via
the Wicket Examples is pretty light.

Thanks
- Doug

Re: Struts/Tiles to Wicket

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
i think i would see tiles more like panels in combination with page
inheritance instead of borders.

something like this:

<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/tiles.tld" prefix="tiles" %>
<%-- include header --%>
<tiles:insert page="/header.jsp" flush="true"/>
<%-- include body --%>
<tiles:insert page="aBody.jsp" flush="true"/>
<%-- include footer --%>
<tiles:insert page="/footer.jsp" flush="true"/>

is pretty much the same as panels and or Page Inheritance.
for example header.jsp and footer.jsp are panels and the body is inherited.

Maybe in wicket 1.4 all 3 can be inherited and implemented by different sub
pages

johan