Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by nackey <na...@aim.com> on 2006/08/08 14:17:09 UTC

Widget Tree and dynamic page updating with Ajax

Hallo,

I have a widget tree and if I select a node I would like that
a part of the web page will be updated (e.g. with ajax)

If I select another node, also a part of the web page should be dynamic
updated and the part, which I updated with the previous node, should
not disappear.

My aim is that I would like to decide which information will be displayed.

E.g. I have a tree of employee with the nodes: name, first name, street,
zip, city etc.
Now I select the nodes first name and city and I would like to see these
information.

Is this possible to do with the widget:tree, ajax?  Or do I have to
use other web technologies?

I hope my problem is understandable.

Thanks.

Kristina

Re: Widget Tree and dynamic page updating with Ajax

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
On Aug 9, 2006, at 11:55 AM, nackey wrote:

> I am working on a generator, so if I have a small e.g. java class
> diagram
> then I could display all information in one shot, but if I have an
> object
> with a lot of sub object and sub sub object, then my tree is very big
> with a lot of nodes and sub nodes and so I have too many
> informaton, which I can't display all together.

Yeah, that's what I mean...

If it's "too much data to generate/send all at once", then AJAX makes
sense.  If it's just a presentation issue, i.e. not really all that
much data to generate/send, it just takes up too much room in the page
to "display all together", as you say, then you don't really need to go
back to the server for each little thing, you can send it all together
and use browser JS to control the display, something like

	function showHideSomething() {			// (set somebody's onclick handler to
this)
		if (whateverElement.hidden) {
			whateverElement.style.display = 'block';
			whateverElement.hidden = false;
		} else {
			whateverElement.style.display = 'none';
			whateverElement.hidden = 'true';
		}
	}

I'm pretty sure Dojo includes this kind of stuff out of the box, too.
—ml—

Re: Widget Tree and dynamic page updating with Ajax

Posted by nackey <na...@aim.com>.

Mark Lundquist-2 wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2006, at 5:17 AM, nackey wrote:
>
>> I have a widget tree and if I select a node I would like that
>> a part of the web page will be updated (e.g. with ajax)
>>
>> If I select another node, also a part of the web page should be dynamic
>> updated and the part, which I updated with the previous node, should
>> not disappear.
>>
>> My aim is that I would like to decide which information will be
>> displayed.
>>
>> E.g. I have a tree of employee with the nodes: name, first name,
>> street,
>> zip, city etc.
>> Now I select the nodes first name and city and I would like to see
>> these
>> information.
>
> That doesn't sound like the kind of thing to use Ajax for... why is an
> update required if you are just doing a little show/hide thing?  The
> amount of information you're talking about is small, so... might it not
> be better to just send it all and handle all of this interaction
> client-side?  Or maybe I misunderstood?
>
> —ml—

I am working on a generator, so if I have a small e.g. java class diagram
then I could display all information in one shot, but if I have an object
with a lot of sub object and sub sub object, then my tree is very big
with a lot of nodes and sub nodes and so I have too many
informaton, which I can't display all together.

But I think I have to solve it with a Master-detail form.

Re: Widget Tree and dynamic page updating with Ajax

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.