Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net> on 2005/06/01 16:49:46 UTC

Re: false positives and negatives

It doesn't appear anyone else has replied so...

> Sorry for the stupid question, but referring to the SpamAssassin web-site
> could not get an answer to the following question:
> How do I safely remove my existing bayes database?

Just have to remove the files.  There are usually three as best I recall,
including the journal file.  Obviously best to stop SA while doing this.

> > The next thing that could help you is to enable net tests, specifically
the
> > SURBL checks.  These will catch a lot of your spams.
>
> Isn't it enabled by default? I start spamd without any options.

It isn't enabled if net checks aren't enabled, and I don't recall if net
checks are enabled by default.  I wouldn't think so, but maybe.

Also, even if net checks are enabled if you don't have a new enough version
of Net::DNS then they won't run.  Doing a 'spamassassin -D' will tell you if
the net checks are enabled and if Net::DNS is a new enough version.

I suspect they are not running for you, because if they were they would
probably have been catching most of your spam.

Also SURBL added another test, I believe JP, since the 3.0.2 release.  This
requires adding a line or two manually to enable the test.  Docs are I
believe on the Surbl site.

        Loren