Posted to user@struts.apache.org by James Howe <jw...@riskmetrics.com> on 2001/01/05 20:18:33 UTC

Possibly Stupid Question

I want to generate a link tag for a page which takes three parameters.  The
values of the parameter come from a bean which is available to the
page.  The end result should look something like this:

The values for val1, val2 and val3 come from a bean which happens to be the
current bean for an iterate tag.  In other words, I'm going to have a table
of items and each cell in the table is going to have unique values for the
parameters.

What is the easiest way to do this using struts?  I've used the form:link
tag before, but I think I can only pass one parameter with this tag.  I've
tried using snippets of java code ("<%= bean.getFoo() %>" for example) but
this code ended up being quite verbose because I had to cast "bean" to the
proper type before I could call "getFoo()".  I'm thinking there must be a
cleaner way to handle this situation.  The only other way I've thought
about would be to have the bean answer an "optionsString" as one of its
properties, but I would rather not have that code in my bean.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Possibly Stupid Question

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
James Howe wrote:

> I want to generate a link tag for a page which takes three parameters.  The
> values of the parameter come from a bean which is available to the
> page.  The end result should look something like this:

> The values for val1, val2 and val3 come from a bean which happens to be the
> current bean for an iterate tag.  In other words, I'm going to have a table
> of items and each cell in the table is going to have unique values for the
> parameters.
>
> What is the easiest way to do this using struts?  I've used the form:link
> tag before, but I think I can only pass one parameter with this tag.  I've
> tried using snippets of java code ("<%= bean.getFoo() %>" for example) but
> this code ended up being quite verbose because I had to cast "bean" to the
> proper type before I could call "getFoo()".  I'm thinking there must be a
> cleaner way to handle this situation.  The only other way I've thought
> about would be to have the bean answer an "optionsString" as one of its
> properties, but I would rather not have that code in my bean.

The Struts 1.0 version of the <form:link> tag lets you use the "name" (or "name"
and "property") attributes to identify a Map that contains request parameters to
be added to the end of the request URI.  You might find it useful for this
purpose.

> Thanks for any suggestions.

Craig