Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Reischer <em...@engr.de.psu.edu> on 2002/03/13 15:47:58 UTC

Performance tweaks

Does anybody know of a way to always allow connections from a given domain
or subnet, thereby bypassing (or sidestepping) the MaxClients
directive?  My problem is, my web server is hit with a lot of requests and
fills up frequently, but I want to somehow give clients in my local domain
a higher priority and either always serve them first or refuse remote
connections before refusing connections from the local domain.

Thanks in advance.

Eric Reischer                                 emr@engr.de.psu.edu
"I'd rather fail at something I enjoy than
succeed at something I don't."            -- George Burns

Re: Performance tweaks

Posted by Steve Leach <sl...@askalix.com>.
Isn't that what Layer3 content switching is about - we use that for
prioritising specific paying customers over gratis types - Arrowpoint /
Cisco etc, etc - be interested if such can be done at the Apache level
though !

Best Regards,

Steve Leach
Network Manager
Miami International Limited
Eaglescliffe Logistics Centre
Durham Lane
Egglescliffe
TEL: 01642 356205
e-mail: sleach@askalix.com

Re: Performance tweaks

Posted by Pietro Cagnoni <pc...@mclink.net>.
> Does anybody know of a way to always allow connections from a given domain
> or subnet, thereby bypassing (or sidestepping) the MaxClients
> directive?  My problem is, my web server is hit with a lot of requests and
> fills up frequently, but I want to somehow give clients in my local domain
> a higher priority and either always serve them first or refuse remote
> connections before refusing connections from the local domain.
>
> Thanks in advance.

maybe many of your server slots are filled by keepalive connections (you
can verify it with mod_status) (yes it happened to me!); reducing the
keepalive timeout, or disabling keepalive completely, may help in this
case.

hope it helps.

pietro.