Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr> on 2020/03/09 16:58:33 UTC

Git history problem

Hello,

The history of OFBiz trunk with the adoption of the Pull Request based
contribution process is getting less and less readable. Here is a
snippet of `git log --oneline --graph` demonstrating that:

a3bcdc4cc3 * | Improved: Removes getSubContentWithPermCheck and getSubSub
           |/
8ec3886d7f * Fixed: Code refactoring to support groovy syntax (OFBIZ-1023
604a3bfa02 * Improved: Convert PartyInvitationService.xml from minilang t
5b8c89906c *   Merge pull request #36 from danwatford/ofbiz-11428-checkst
           |\
e665f9dc68 | * Improved: Set checkstyle to use LF line endings
e9ec4181ec * |   Merge pull request #17 from PierreSmits/Label-Cleanup
           |\ \
974b85f4ec | * | Improved: Cleanup HumanRes labels
c71a7ae06d | * | Improved: UI labels
c121ad6b9d * | |   Merge pull request #15 from PierreSmits/OFBIZ-10551
           |\ \ \
           | |_|/
           |/| |
58b0da26f5 | * | Improved: Remove unused labels from ProductUiLabels.xml
66aa76d7f7 * | |   Merge pull request #35 from danwatford/ofbiz-11418-doc
           |\ \ \
0ece441228 | * | | Fixed: Fixed line lengths in ModelFormFieldTest to adh
cfad407c48 * | | |   Merge pull request #34 from danwatford/ofbiz-11418-d
           |\ \ \ \
           | |/ / /
5640de4eba | * | | Documented: Documented use of field attribute paramete

I personnally think this is a huge issue because it makes analysing
history and chasing previously introduced bugs unecessary hard.

I would strongly recommend configuring OFBiz Github to require a linear
commit history when merging PR [1].

Thanks.

[1] https://help.github.com/en/github/administering-a-repository/requiring-a-linear-commit-history

PS: Even if I try to be polite, I am profoundly angry regarding the way
the PR contribution process has been adopted without any formal
community approval or listening to people having stated important
requirements that needed to be addressed before moving towards that new
contribution process.

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
This is why I was advocating to leave the wiki page in WIP state until
the command line process is described also.

We should rework the wiki page to also show the command line process to
merge PR's on the local sandbox which permits ultimate control about
what is going to be pushed to the official repositories. I think
committers should get used to the process of handling the PRs on their
local sandbox and avoid doing it directly against the official repo.

I've set the wiki status to WIP again with the reference link to the
RocketMQ process which is a good example for the command line processes
as well.

Thanks,

Michael Brohl

ecomify GmbH - www.ecomify.de

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Some notes before I forget:

 1. Except if Infra (or I) missed something, GH "Rebase and Merge" does not always create a linear commit history. See the log of ofbiz-site after the
    "Rebase and Merge" I did for PR1. If commits happen beetwen it's does not deliver a linear commit history.
 2. With our request to Infra at INFRA-19950, which was normally based on Matthieu's [1] link below, the "Squash and Merge" option is still available.
    AFAIK it does not rebase before squashing and merging. I though find it convenient in some cases. But we can also ask contributors to manually
    squash their commits before committing the lot again (always in a new PR?) and ask Infra to also remove this option. Opinions?

Jacques

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi All,

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Git commits email notification problem

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 11/03/2020 à 11:46, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
> Hello Jacques,
>
> Here is a first answer on the specific point of the commit notification
> issue.
>
> Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> writes:
>
>> I noticed that sometimes strange things happen when you use a
>> PR. Consider this recent email for instance:
>> https://markmail.org/message/amq5fj2dfma7pcbb.
>>
>> There is only the files names, nothing about the changes. You have to
>> get there to have the information
>> https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-plugins/commit/4afe603/ not very
>> convenient :/
>>
>> Moreover if you look at the commit comment in related Jira (OFBIZ-10948), it says:
>>
>>     <<Merge pull request #7 from priyasharma1/OFBIZ-10948 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-10948>
>>
>>     Improved: Convert DimensionServices.xml minilang to groovy (OFBIZ-10948 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-10948>)>>
>>
>> When I supposed it would be only the title and comment at
>> https://github.com/apache/ofbiz-plugins/pull/7. Why is "Merge pull
>> request #7 from priyasharma1/OFBIZ-10948
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-10948>" added, mystery!
>>
>> For a reason I ignore (must be a reason, but I'll not try to understand) we did not get that.
> I guess this is related to the synchronization between Gitbox and
> Github.  because that email says that 4087 revisions have been added
> which correspond to the total number of commits in the ofbiz-plugins
> repository.

Thanks Mathieu,

I think you are right, it must take some time indeed to sync the dual-host stuff. Anyway it's not a big deal, just annoying.

Jacques

Git commits email notification problem (was: Git history problem)

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Hello Jacques,

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Gil Portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
+1

IMO i prefer to rebase and check the commit i push in my local repo.

Thanks

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> writes:

> Le 11/03/2020 à 12:33, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
>> Yes things seems to happen not magically but by putting earplugs on and
>> going ahead, which is certainly more effective but IMO not acceptable
>> when working within a community.
>
> I'm not sure to who it's destined, so I'll not take it for me :)

This was destined to no-one, it was just general remark regarding
handling community input on a proposal. So you do not have to feel
targeted.

By the way the expression “not acceptable” was probably too strong and
should have been “not a good thing” because as Pierre said this is
eventually necessary to get things done.

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 11/03/2020 à 12:33, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
> Yes things seems to happen not magically but by putting earplugs on and
> going ahead, which is certainly more effective but IMO not acceptable
> when working within a community.

I'm not sure to who it's destined, so I'll not take it for me :)

>> BTW, a question for you: do you think not having a linear commit
>> history would have an impact on Bisect. I don't think so, just asking
>> in case you have an experience with that.
> ‘git bisect’ handles non-linear history nicely but it achieves this with
> a more complex algorithm than basic binary search [1][2].
>
> The difficulty is when a commit identified as introducing the regression
> is a merge commit because it requires analysing each branch up to their
> common ancestor.

Thanks, did not think about that.

> The major issue is more social, because once people adopts the practice
> of merging branches without rebasing and cleaning that branch first,
> since contributors often branch from another development branch, this
> will eventually lead to have the same commit present multiple times but
> with different hashes.

Mmm, that's bad indeed.

> The simple solution to prevent this is to get into the habit of
> linearizing history, meaning always rebasing and clean history before
> merging into trunk.
I guess the GH merge button option "Rebase and merge" is what we are looking to enforce with the request to Infra, right?
--

Jacques Le Roux
400E Chemin de la Mouline
34560 Poussan
04 67 51 19 38
06 11 79 50 28

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
The remark about 'not acceptable when working within a community' reminds
me of the the joke about 'How many community members does it take to get
four wheel nuts loosened'.
It takes 4: 1 loosening the nuts and 3 others discussing....

JFDI (putting on the earplugs, and doing it) is part of the Apache Way. It
applies to contributing code changes and to people having the need to
discuss stuff.

But in this project some need to have discussions on everything. In tickets
with statements like 'we should discuss this' or in specific threads on a
side tracking remark, without taking that 'need' forward to a new thread
(maybe hoping the other community member does that). Some have even brought
forward that issues (whether they be bugs or improvements) need to be
discussed before they are registered as issues. A result of this
side-tracking (bike shedding??) of JFDI, is not going for accepting 'good
enough' in many cases and an almost unclimbable mountain of open tickets.

That is not the way to go in an Apache project, as it alienates
contributors (leading to drastic measures taken - as seen again recently).
Going down that road - all/most of the time - is not beneficial to the
project, as seems to bring moving forward to a halt.

Paraphrasing Alec Steele here: at a certain moment in time it is time to
stop yacking and start whacking.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor** of* Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/> since
2008 (without privileges)

Re: Adopting Github Workflow (was: Git history problem)

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
As the philosopher Yoda once stated: "Do or Do Not, There is no try'.

Having a restriction on how (potential) non-privileged contributors can
contribute is not a good thing for this project. What it will lead to is
more instead of less hurdles to contribute. Some may report a bug in an
email (even though not subscribed to a mailing list). Disregarding that and
hammering on 'follow the dictates' does not get issues resolved faster. So
given current state of the project, such does not benefit the project or
potential adopters/contribot) more. It only benefits those not willing to
collaborate/contribute (and/or bureaucrats).

This applies to the first 3 aspects raised by Mathieu.

As for the 4th: The availability of an API (whether for Github or JIRA -
and yes JIRA has such as well) doesn't make OFBiz reports (quarterly, not
monthly) better by itself. It needs commitment on various levels to have it
used consistently. AFAICT, this is not going to happen soon in this project.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> Le 12/03/2020 à 10:30, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>>
>> Pro:
>>
>>  1. More devs know GH than Jira and it has been created for them (when using Git). They like it, we need them.
>>  2. Simple things are easy to directly push with the PR commit button (w/ forced rebase and merge). For large or complicate other paths are
>>     possible, like attaching a patch.
>>  3. If we use both solutions we complicate things (mental overload, cf. the contributor wiki page). GH is an opportunity to simplify the processes.
>>     Too much details[0] (bikeshedding) often does not help, KISS often helps.
>>  4. Jacopo referred to an example of success (since 2016) in the GH wiki page[1]. See how it's simple and easy to apply compared to our contributor
>>     wiki page?
>>  5. As Infra team supports the dual-host it's not a venture
>>  6. GH has intrinsically tools to version and release (it's a dev tool not a reporting tool). Please Jacopo confirm since you are the release
>>     manager[1.5]
>>  7. As mentioned Gil, we must keep Jira for (much needed) history and slowly close old, inaccurate or deprecated tickets.
>>
> 8. Ability to create fork and work with peers on large or complicated subjects

To stop at this moment, I have created https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Adopting+Github+Workflow and added Jacopo's answer as RM

Jacques

Re: Adopting Github Workflow

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> It then offers the same possibilities than Jira (which adapted)
It then offers the same possibilities than Jira (which adapted during its evolution)

Jacques

Re: Adopting Github Workflow

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi All,

I created INFRA-20424 for that.

Food for thought: I also noticed some more information in Arrow README.md file.

[![Build Status](https://ci.appveyor.com/api/projects/status/github/apache/arrow/branch/master?svg=true)](https://ci.appveyor.com/project/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/arrow/branch/master)
[![Coverage Status](https://codecov.io/gh/apache/arrow/branch/master/graph/badge.svg)](https://codecov.io/gh/apache/arrow?branch=master)
[![Fuzzing Status](https://oss-fuzz-build-logs.storage.googleapis.com/badges/arrow.svg)](https://bugs.chromium.org/p/oss-fuzz/issues/list?sort=-opened&can=1&q=proj:arrow)
[![License](http://img.shields.io/:license-Apache%202-blue.svg)](https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/LICENSE.txt)
[![Twitter Follow](https://img.shields.io/twitter/follow/apachearrow.svg?style=social&label=Follow)](https://twitter.com/apachearrow)

We could maybe provide something similar in our README.adoc?

With commit 26bb8f602fcb7bd3a3d4a8b4cfab67df35a45764 I added an image with a link to the license at least. I'm unsure how to do the rest, tweeter
notably would be cool...

I also thought that we have no README.adoc in ofbiz-plugins repo. We could copy the one in ofbiz-framework. That mean to copy it regularly to maintain
the sync, what do you think?

Jacques

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks All,

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
+1

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
HI Jacques,

IMO, we can. But I would give it another few days (the customary minimum)
to see whether others care to differ.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor** of* Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/> since
2008 (without privileges)

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 6:54 PM Jacques Le Roux <

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
+1 James!

Posted by James Yong <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Benjamin, All,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
You are correct. Instead of just looking at what the technical differences
(and similarities) between between the two approaches are (and opting for
one or the other based on personal preferences), we should be looking at:

   1. will the change from one to another bring more to our potential
   adopters (their decision makers) and contributors. But also to
   developers/implementers not aspiring to be a contributor;
   2. how much effort will this change take, and when will the change-over
   be normalised into a smooth sailing cruise.

These two factors should determine whether the project goes forward with
yet another big refactoring. And this time it is not code, but procedural
changes accompanied by documentation changes. If not done properly, there
will be confusion. And confusion (too long and/or too much) leads to people
not choosing to adopt/contribute or even leaving the project.

Posted by Benjamin Jugl <be...@ecomify.de>.

--
Benjamin Jugl
Consultant

Fon       +49 521 448 157-94
Fax       +49 521 448 157-99
Mobil     +49 160 807 8611
Xing      xing.com/profile/Benjamin_Jugl3/
LinkedIn  linkedin.com/in/benjamin-jugl-693664ab/

Company and Management Headquarters:
ecomify GmbH, Gustav-Winkler-Str. 22, 33699 Bielefeld, Deutschland
Fon: +49 521 448157-90, Fax: +49 521 448157-99,www.ecomify.de

Court Registration: Amtsgericht Bielefeld HRB 41683
Chief Executive Officer: Martin Becker, Michael Brohl

Re: Adopting Github Workflow

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 12/03/2020 à 11:40, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 10:32 AM Jacques Le Roux <
> jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>   6. GH has intrinsically tools to version and release (it's a dev tool not
>> a reporting tool). Please Jacopo confirm since you are the release
>> manager[1.5]
>>
> Jacques, I am not sure what kind confirmation you are seeking from me but I
> will try to provide an answer to the questions I *think* you are asking me
> to respond.
> Question: Does GH have tools to version and release software?
> Answer: Yes, it does: when you create a git tag, GitHub provides download
> links that allow the users to generate and download an archive of that tag.
> Question: Can we modify our release process to leverage GH instead of what
> we are doing now?
> Answer: No, accordingly to the ASF "Release Distribution" policy [*] we
> would still need to publish and distribute our releases in the current way;
> of course we can also adopt other downstream channels.
>
> Jacopo
>
> [*] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution

Thanks Jacopo,

It indeed clarifies my question.

As I see no Jira references in "Release Distribution Policy" I guess it's not an issue to no longer use Jira to manage versions and releases numbers,
ie using

[1.5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/OFBIZ/administer-versions?status=released-unreleased

and its byproducts?

Jacques

Re: Adopting Github Workflow

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 12/03/2020 à 09:12, Michael Brohl a écrit :
> Hi Jacques,
>
> I will just pick out one topic here, see inline:
>
> Am 12.03.20 um 08:32 schrieb Jacques Le Roux:
>>
>> The most important question to answer is: what does Jira offers that GH does not?
>
> To justify the need of making a change, to me the question is quite the opposite: what does GitHub offer which Jira does not in the domain of
> contributing/ project management/ issue tracking?
>
> What makes it desirable for the community as a whole to work on a switch to GitHub?
>
> What do we gain? What do we lose?
>
> What processes are optimized or made easier for contributors (both technical skilled and not so technical skilled)?
>
> What problems do we have with the current setting and how are they solved with a new solution?
>
> Are there good examples or experience by other Apache projects who made the switch?
>

> I am not talking about personal preferences, speculations or just doing it because it's more up-to-date, but good, justified arguments which I have
> not seen yet.
>
> For a vote, we should collect all arguments with pro and cons side-by-side to have everyone taking part of it well informed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Brohl
>
> ecomify GmbH - www.ecomify.de

Hi Michael,

Yes it's also good to see from the other side too, even if it blurs things a bit for now...

Starting with not too much details to not be drown:

[...]

Cons:

 1. People knowing only Jira will need to adapt to GH, easy stuff since it's supposed to be simpler to use in our acceptance.
 2. Jira is maybe easier for not dev users to report. Though you can also report in GH[2]. It then offers the same possibilities than Jira (which
    adapted) but we miss the feature (=> ask Infra)
 3. Has GH tools alike elaborated search in Jira, e.g. with filters?
 4. Will we miss tools like Dashboard, fancy graphs, etc? (I don't think so)

Waiting completing pro and cons before starting a vote...

[0] Jira offers too much IMO, hence the contributor wiki page. Developers want to code (fun), not to report to managers (boring)...
[1] https://rocketmq.apache.org/docs/pull-request/
[1.5]https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/OFBIZ/administer-versions?status=released-unreleased
[2] https://help.github.com/en/github/managing-your-work-on-github/creating-an-issue

Jacques

Re: Adopting Github Workflow

Posted by Samuel Tr��gou��t <sa...@nereide.fr>.
> I think you cannot make the tool responsible for how it is used in this
> particular case.
of course the tool is responsible! Jira is not a tool to review code!

  "Jira: Issue & Project Tracking Software"

so nothing to do with code ;)

Just imagine how it would be possible with another tool. For example
with github each time James pushes new changes I will able to check only
this new changes, we will be able to make discussion
(question/answer/comment) on different points, I mean different threads
in same PullRequest

> The issue was opened for review only after the feature branch from
> Jacques was opened, before the exchange was meant to be just between
> Jacques and James.

don't understand this statement. You mean sometimes jira discussion is
understandable only by two people (so noone is able to enter discussion
afterward) and we should consider this a normal process?

What do you mean with `feature branch`? feature branch is related to git
only, no? here we are talking about jira and github and how these tools
are well suited for reviewing code.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Samuel,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 12/03/2020 à 09:53, Samuel Trégouët a écrit :
> Hi Michael,
>
>> To justify the need of making a change, to me the question is quite the
>> opposite: what does GitHub offer which Jira does not in the domain of
>> contributing/ project management/ issue tracking?
> Jira review process is awfull!
>
> I tried to review OFBIZ-11306 and give up after 3 revisions… Now there
> are 40 patches attached. How can you tell which one is ok? Tell me which
> one is fixing another after which discussion? …
>
> If we care about reviewing patches/contribution we should stop using
> jira.
>
> Samuel

Hi Samuel,

This is indeed a good example and forks should be added as a pro for GH...

At the moment it started James was not aware of our use of Git, see my "19/Dec/19 15:05" comment there, so not even telling about GH.

I guess you know the last comment redirects to the right way ;) I have some more to tell about that soon...

Jacques

Re: Adopting Github Workflow

Posted by Samuel Tr��gou��t <sa...@nereide.fr>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 11/03/2020 à 16:29, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
> Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> writes:

>>> AIUI this page is only collection of Git/Github tips and fuzzy
>>> "maybe"/"you can" rules.  Moreover it does not propose to
>>> replace/deprecate/simplify existing contribution procedures/tools.
>> Yes, that's really missing, I agree. I once created OFBIZ-1129 (Tools to backport), but finally closed it for 2 reasons:
>>
>> 1. Not enough interest (most important reason by far)
>> 2. Spent some time, did not find easy way to replace scripts, I don't think fits.
>>
>> I think Pierre's effort is a try for the procedure aspect. Why not
>> joining there and improve?
> You are right. I should be more constructive than just acknowledging
> that the requirements I expressed were not properly considered.
>
> Let me try joining Pierre's effort by providing a simple but radical
> proposal for our contribution procedure :
>
> - Adopt Github Pull Request (PR) as the unique channel for code contribution
> - Require tickets only for bug reports
> - Replace JIRA with Github issues
> - Use Github API to get the stats for OFBiz monthly reports
>
> @Pierre: What do you think ?

Hi All,

After reading all opinions so far, some fast, some more elaborated, I think we need to focus on gist and KISS.

TL;DR: we don't need more contributor best practices, but less.

At this stage a vote seems required. And before starting a vote we need 1st to clearly identify the pro and cons of the 2 solutions which are:

 1. Only GH
 2. Both Jira and GH

I'll not take into account other possibilities, as mentioned by Pierre, like patches in emails, and what not, because in such cases we most of the
time ask people to use Jira.

1. Only GH

The most important question to answer is: what does Jira offers that GH does not? I think all the rest depends on that and could simplify much things.
For instance seriously read https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices, and think about newbies... We may
also need to define the pros and cons. I think here it's subaltern because if GH fulfils the gist of what Jira does there is no point arguing. Again
we need to focus on the essential, things really needed, and not bikeshedding. We did that too much already, code is the gist, not administrate it.

2. Both Jira and GH

The most important point here is mental overload. If you want to quickly have an idea about mental overload, pick a tool from
https://techagainstcoronavirus.com/ You may try APL language too ;). Here we need to define the pros and cons.

Then we can and should vote, it's really an important topic that Mathieu raised and clearly we will not reach a lazy consensus.

Let me know if you think I missed something, but please don't bikeshed. What we want is to be effective and JFDI, not arguing. This project is riddled
with sterile discussions, and yes I'm part of it :/

Thanks

Jacques

Re: Adopting Github Workflow (was: Git history problem)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> [...]
> - Adopt Github Pull Request (PR) as the unique channel for code
> contribution

+1

> - Require tickets only for bug reports

+1

> - Replace JIRA with Github issues

I am not sure about this: we have a huge backlog of existing Jira tickets
and we may have to verify if, as an Apache project, we can rely on a non
ASF resource as the primary source of information about bug/enhancement
reports.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Mathieu,

> Am 11.03.2020 um 23:04 schrieb Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>:
>
> Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de> writes:
>
>>> Am 11.03.20 um 19:13 schrieb Mathieu Lirzin:
>>>
>>> So to “manage” stuff you could still use tickets and ML discussion like
>>> before, but it would just be done when necesarry not to follow the
>>> “everything as to be attached to JIRA” policy which was often justified
>>> by the fact that they serves in the Monthly reports.
>>
>> Do you speak of the monthly blog posts?
>
> Yes,
>
>> They are solely derived from the Git commit history, Jira is not used
>> for it.
>
> I was unaware of that. This is interesting because now I am realizing
> that all the arguments I heard in the past about the “the need to create
> a JIRA ticket for each meaningful code contribution because otherwise it
> will not appear in the Monthly blog posts” was even more bureaucratic
> non-sense…

Can you point us to the conversation where this was stated? From the beginning, the Blog post details are pulled from the commit history (svn and later git), that‘s why we have the commit message template.

The Jira issues are pulled for the release notes, maybe you have confused these?

> I will not response in details to the others points you made, because I
> am now convinced that we simply leave in alternate realities and that
> there is no way we can possibly have a constructive discussion together.

You are confusing me. What are those alternate realities?

Michael

Re: Adopting Github Workflow

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 13/03/2020 à 11:40, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 11:33 AM Jacques Le Roux <
> jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I have asked at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19950 if we
>> could have GH issues.
>>
> Yes, I saw your comment but I am wondering if the way you have phrased your
> question [*] will make sense to Infra.
>
> [*] "can using issues be implement in the the context of the dual-host?"

I thought that with the link I put there:

https://help.github.com/en/github/managing-your-work-on-github/creating-an-issue

It will clear enough for them. What would you propose?

Jacques

Re: Adopting Github Workflow

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 13/03/2020 à 11:29, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 10:20 PM Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> As for PMC Members claiming that the Github services (repositories etc.)
>> are not *official* ASF tools, I suggest these persons stop this kind of FUD
>> (and maybe check back with the ASF).
>>
> Pierre, rather than accusing others of FUD, it would be more constructive
> to the conversation to research and provide references that support a
> decision.
> I did a research and I have found this useful ticket:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249
>
> After carefully reviewing the various comments/opinions posted there, I
> think we can conclude that from the legal point-of-view, as an ASF project,
> we can adopt a ticketing system that is not maintained by the ASF (such as
> GH Issues) provided that we setup all notifications to be archived to a
> mailing list managed by the ASF (such as notifications@ofbiz...); in this
> way, the ASF will always have an history log of all the information shared
> in GH Issues even in the unlikely case that GH will disappear, change
> license, shut down the service etc...
> The other, valid in my opinion, concern expressed in that ticket about
> adopting GH Issues and GH PR as the only mechanism to accept reports and
> contributions is that people will have to create an account and accept the
> Terms of Services of a 3rd party company (GitHub). And the 3rd party may
> also apply restrictions to the users (see for example
> https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/29/github-ban-sanctioned-countries/ ) that
> may be different from the ones that are accepted by the ASF.
> In my opinion, these are concerns that need to be addressed and discussed
> with patience (not accusing others on disagreement) and calm: however, for
> this specific case, we could, in my opinion, consider GH Issues and GH PR
> as our primary mechanisms but also accept contributions via our mailing
> lists (for example) for the ones that can not or don't want to register an
> account with a 3rd party company.
>
> Jacopo

Thanks Jacopo,

That sounds like a good plan to me!

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Mathieu, Michael, all,

Please try to keep an open mind.... Sticking to own dictats about one or
the other set of 'rules' and tools is not helping this project.

It is better to find a compromise that works best (or is least restrictive)
for all, seasoned contributors (whether privileged or not) and others.

Neither does expressing perjorative sentiments. Neither derogatory wording,
nor strong words were used in the section where it hinted to.

As for PMC Members claiming that the Github services (repositories etc.)
are not *official* ASF tools, I suggest these persons stop this kind of FUD
(and maybe check back with the ASF). Several project have only Github tools
as above-the-line services working for them. And the INFRA ensuring that,
with below-the-line services, everything is retained within the ASF
architecture and infrastructure.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Mathieu,

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr> writes:

> The reason I see for requiring a unique code contribution channel is
> lowering cognitive overload for everyone.
>
> If a community ends up “requiring” certain contribution procedures that
                                                                     ^^^
                                                                     then
> people are not forced to conform. It is then up to the reviewers to
                                       ^^^^^^^
                                       should be

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Hello Michael,

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> writes:

> Le 11/03/2020 à 17:08, Michael Brohl a écrit :
>>
>> Am 11.03.20 um 16:29 schrieb Mathieu Lirzin:
>>> - Adopt Github Pull Request (PR) as the unique channel for code contribution
>>
>> -1
>>
>> I don't see a reason why we should not allow patches also. It will
>> make it easier for people to contribute who are not able (or
>> willing) to run their own GitHub repository.
>>
>> We should encourage people to use PR's but not force it (at least, not immediately...).
>
> I agree with Michael, using only GitHub (GH) is too radical,  IMO even in the future.
>
> Also the Jacopo's remark about using (only?) a 3rd party tool should
> be checked if ever we get this way. Jira is also a 3rd party tool but
> it's donated by Atlassian to the ASF and handled/customised/maintained
> by the Infra team. Also it uses a customised version of the OFBiz
> Entity Engine, own dog food? :)
> [...]
> +1 with Michael's comment, Jira is very handy when it comes to details
> like uploading info, etc. Not sure GH provides the same

If seasoned PMC members like you or Michael are not ready to give up on
considering JIRA as a central tool to “manage” every code contribution
the discussion is over on my side.

Adopting the Github Workflow ontop of an already indigest cake of
contribution requirements can only make things worse.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
On top of that, I though agree that 2 ways to do the same thing is always confusing, especially for newbies.
I had this experience with the APL language. There you have not 2 ways but almost as much as your imagination allows to do things. And yes it's
confusing, it's also fun, but that's another story :).

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 11/03/2020 à 17:08, Michael Brohl a écrit :
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> inline...

Inline too...

Posted by Gil Portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 05:08:47PM +0100, Michael Brohl wrote:

> > - Adopt Github Pull Request (PR) as the unique channel for code contribution
>
> -1
>
> I don't see a reason why we should not allow patches also. It will make it
> easier for people to contribute who are not able (or willing) to run their
> own GitHub repository.
>
> We should encourage people to use PR's but not force it (at least, not
> immediately...).
Agree encouraging is better, but that will become invalid if it is
chosen to use Github as the new way to report issues/improvement
contribution. In that case the patch is a more complex way to
contribute and discuss contributions.

> > - Require tickets only for bug reports
>
> -1
>
> Jira tickets for improvements/new features are extremely helpful to have
> everything in one place (with the addition to a link to the mailing list
> discussion), track the efforts, watch issues etc.
>
> How would you manage the work then?

Agree that being restrictive is not good.

> > - Replace JIRA with Github issues
>
> -1
>
> Why should we have two different issue management systems when we can have
> everything in one place? What advantages do you see for doing so?
>
> I also would not rely too heavily on GitHub because it is not an official
> ASF resource and IMO Jira is a huge knowledge base of the project.

If i understood well the proposal is to *replace* one by another, to
avoid the usage of multiple tools (for PR and issues).
The problematic is the lost of history and like was said github being
external to Apache.

But what Jira do offer that github do not ? Is that possible to keep
Jira as a legacy bugTracker for history sake ? Is that to much work for
us to adapt to this new tool. Do other apache project use github as
their bugTracker, and is that an issue ? This has to be analysed.

> > - Use Github API to get the stats for OFBiz monthly reports
>
> Can you elaborate what you mean/ how you would do it?

I guess that building reports onto number of PR merged/closed, number of
commit, listing of github issue by type (those that exists, that
matters), etc.

Thanks

Re: Adopting Github Workflow

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Mathieu,

inline...

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 11/03/2020 à 12:33, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
>>> This said you certainly saw this thread started by Pierre Smits:
>> https://markmail.org/message/so7ljoqxzuq7jplz  and the related wiki
>> document
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Contributing+via+Git+and+Github
> AIUI this page is only collection of Git/Github tips and fuzzy
> "maybe"/"you can" rules.  Moreover it does not propose to
> replace/deprecate/simplify existing contribution procedures/tools.

Yes, that's really missing, I agree. I once created OFBIZ-1129 (Tools to backport), but finally closed it for 2 reasons:

 1. Not enough interest (most important reason by far)
 2. Spent some time, did not find easy way to replace scripts, I don't think fits.

I think Pierre's effort is a try for the procedure aspect. Why not joining there and improve?

> So it misses the point that adopting Github workflow only makes sense if
> it simplifies the contribution process for both contributors and
> reviewers.

At 1st glance it simplifies committers work: just a button to click \o/

But reviewing in the GH env. is not easy. Eclipse and other tools used locally make things much easier. And reviewing is of course the most important
thing, everybody can click a button ;)

Jacques

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Hello Jacques,

> [...]

‘git bisect’ handles non-linear history nicely but it achieves this with
a more complex algorithm than basic binary search [1][2].

The difficulty is when a commit identified as introducing the regression
is a merge commit because it requires analysing each branch up to their
common ancestor.

The major issue is more social, because once people adopts the practice
of merging branches without rebasing and cleaning that branch first,
since contributors often branch from another development branch, this
will eventually lead to have the same commit present multiple times but
with different hashes.

The simple solution to prevent this is to get into the habit of
linearizing history, meaning always rebasing and clean history before
merging into trunk.

> Please don't be angry, it's not good for health. Just listen few

:-)

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Mathieu Lirzin <ma...@nereide.fr>.
Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de> writes:

> I tried to follow the instructions found behind the link Mathieu
> provided and see that I cannot change the project settings.
>
> Who has access to the project settings and can grant me permission to
> change settings?

Thanks Michael for this attempt.

Re: Git history problem

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
I think that the ASF Infra will have to take care of this configuration
change.
I have noticed that Jacques already filed a request a few minutes ago [*]
so let's wait and see.

Jacopo

[*] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19950

Re: Git history problem