Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/04 20:17:24 UTC

I would like to become Pluto's committer.

Hi there,

I like the Pluto project very much. In my spare time, I have also read lots
of Pluto's code (especially the 1.1 branch), and have done some work to
improve it. I would like to know if it will be possible that I become a
Pluto committer. I am really willing to contribute my time and my code to
this wonderful project.

I am an experienced java developer. Now I am working on a java CMS at
Edifixio (http://www.edifixio.fr) in Paris. Here is my resume, if you want
to know more about me:

http://heavyz.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/MyWiki.cgi/Heavyz/ResumeInEnglish

I believe that I have a thorough understanding of the portlet specification
as well as Pluto's architecture: how the container implements the spec, how
the portal integrates the container, etc. I read the "how the ASF works",
and want to find a way to become a real member of this project. The article
states that only PMC members have the right to propose a contributor for
committership, so I post on this mailing list. For Pluto PMC members, if you
think that I can be a qualified committer and can help the project, would
someone accept my request, to propose me for the committership? Or if there
are something that I should do, would you please tell me? Thanks.

I look forward to working with you!

Regards.

--

ZHENG Zhong
heavyzheng{aT}gmail{d0t}com

Reopening 1.1 Discussions [was: Re: I would like to become Pluto's committer.]

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

> There was some discussion about pluto refactoring for 1.1 and how we can
> have nice interfaces between pluto and different portals implementations
> using it in Stuttgart, at the portals "Birth of a Feather" session, with
> Carsten, from cocoon portal, Raphael and myself, from Jetspeed, and
> Henning, involved in velocity, turbine, and some other web tools in
> jakarta. Also Noel Bergman was there. He is specially interested in how
> to specify services for portals in a portable way.
>
> I think we can reopen the discussion and invite people from other
> projects using pluto, so that the re-factoring for 1.1 has a nice,
> stable API that allows easy interface with different portals.

Would you mind reopening it by giving us a summary of the specific
things you've discussed. . . .do you (those mentioned above and others)
think that 1.1 as it exists today is a good start to providing a "nice
stable API"? what specific things would you like to refactor? etc. . .

Also, what will it take to get 1.1 moving faster and more community
involved?  IMHO, one of the biggest things holding the refactoring back
is that lack of community involvement and collaboration.  How can we
encourage these discussions (which seem to happen every 6 months or so)
to turn into a stronger community and gain momentum?

David

Re: I would like to become Pluto's committer.

Posted by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com>.
On 8/5/05, Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org> wrote:

> Are you trying to use pluto "as is", or integrating it into your own
> portal solution?

  Currently, i am working on IBM Aptrix CMS 1.1 (the name is changed to
ILWWCM, IBM Lotus Workspace Web Content Management, which is not very human
readable), and integrating it with IBM's portal server. IBM's portlet
interface is not specification-compatible, so i looked at the JSR168, and
thus pluto, the RI. That interests me a lot.
 I am learning how to integrate Pluto to a portal server. That's why I
prefer the 1.1 branch to 1.0.1, which is a little confusing, and more
difficult to integrate. I strongly agree that 1.1 should have a nice and
stable interface that makes the container easier to be integrated in any
portal solution. Personally, I also studied some source code of Lutece (
http://lutece.paris.fr), an open source portal engine that powers the site
http://www.paris.fr. I'd like to integrate pluto 1.1 to it.
 I hope to see a more beautiful 1.1 release. It should be as it's expected
to be: a 100%-compatible portlet implementation, as well as a pretty and
clear integration API. Surely, I will also try my best to participate in its
development, and contribute to it.
 Regards.

--

ZHENG Zhong
heavyzheng{aT}gmail{d0t}com

Re: I would like to become Pluto's committer.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
El jue, 04-08-2005 a las 20:17 +0200, Zhong ZHENG escribió:
> Hi there,
>
> I like the Pluto project very much. In my spare time, I have also read
> lots of Pluto's code (especially the 1.1 branch), and have done some
> work to improve it. I would like to know if it will be possible that I
> become a Pluto committer. I am really willing to contribute my time
> and my code to this wonderful project.

Nice to know.

> I am an experienced java developer. Now I am working on a java CMS at
> Edifixio (http://www.edifixio.fr) in Paris. Here is my resume, if you
> want to know more about me:
>
> http://heavyz.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/MyWiki.cgi/Heavyz/ResumeInEnglish
>
> I believe that I have a thorough understanding of the portlet
> specification as well as Pluto's architecture: how the container
> implements the spec, how the portal integrates the container, etc. I
> read the "how the ASF works", and want to find a way to become a real
> member of this project. The article states that only PMC members have
> the right to propose a contributor for committership, so I post on
> this mailing list. For Pluto PMC members, if you think that I can be a
> qualified committer and can help the project, would someone accept my
> request, to propose me for the committership? Or if there are
> something that I should do, would you please tell me? Thanks.

> I look forward to working with you!

There was some discussion about pluto refactoring for 1.1 and how we can
have nice interfaces between pluto and different portals implementations
using it in Stuttgart, at the portals "Birth of a Feather" session, with
Carsten, from cocoon portal, Raphael and myself, from Jetspeed, and
Henning, involved in velocity, turbine, and some other web tools in
jakarta. Also Noel Bergman was there. He is specially interested in how
to specify services for portals in a portable way.

I think we can reopen the discussion and invite people from other
projects using pluto, so that the re-factoring for 1.1 has a nice,
stable API that allows easy interface with different portals.

Raphael, by the way, he is in Paris too, will further this vague email
when he gets off a heavy swamp of work he is going through right now.
Hopefully next week.

Are you trying to use pluto "as is", or integrating it into your own
portal solution?

Regards
Santiago
--