Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Poling <je...@cmhcsys.com> on 2004/03/18 15:22:00 UTC

Connection warning

At 09:06 AM 3/18/2004, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
>A good place to start would be right here (in a separate thread).
>Solicit feedback from other users and developers.  This list has a
>number of experienced users who will shoot down a dumb idea before you
>propose it to the tomcat developers ;)

    Fair enough.

    *Assuming this doesn't already exist and I haven't found it....*

    We use tomcat as our middleware to provide a GUI-like interface for our
UNIX character-based back-end.  We are running into a problem with
maxProcesses being maxed out and users not being able to use the system.  A
good rule of thumb is to multiply the expected number of sessions times two
or three to get the necessary number of processes ... but it only really
works if our customer's internal reporting processes are sufficient enough
so that the system admininistrator always knows the number of people
working for the company (and therefore using the system).  What I'd like is
some way to keep tabs on the number of processes for any given connector(s)
in use, and if it exceeds a certain threshhold, give some sort of sign ...
an email, logfile entry, burning bush, whatever.

*************Jeff Poling, Research and Development, CMHC Systems**************
** For every difficult problem, there is * "A warp core breach is imminent? **
** a solution that is simple, obvious,   * This calls for the handyman's    **
** and wrong.                            * secret weapon, duct tape." -- Red**
**                                       * Green, Chief Engineer, USS Voyager*

Re: Connection warning

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
On 03/18/2004 03:22 PM Jeff Poling wrote:
>    We use tomcat as our middleware to provide a GUI-like interface for
> our UNIX character-based back-end.  We are running into a problem with
> maxProcesses being maxed out and users not being able to use the
> system.  A good rule of thumb is to multiply the expected number of
> sessions times two or three to get the necessary number of processes ...
> but it only really works if our customer's internal reporting processes
> are sufficient enough so that the system admininistrator always knows
> the number of people working for the company (and therefore using the
> system).  What I'd like is some way to keep tabs on the number of
> processes for any given connector(s) in use, and if it exceeds a certain
> threshhold, give some sort of sign ... an email, logfile entry, burning
> bush, whatever.

You could write a filter that alters the style sheets served (*.css) so
that all pages blinked in red when the maxprocesses level is being
approached.  ;)

Seriously though, what are you going to do with this signal? What's it
going to say? "You may start panicing now" or something?

If the sysop doesn't know the number of users, how likely is he/she to
react this signal, whatever it may be?

I would say what you need more is a log of the usage so you can tell
what the growth rate is and then totally avoid the problem by installing
more hardware.

Just my 2 cents.

Adam