Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Will Hartung <wi...@msoft.com> on 2002/06/26 01:37:59 UTC

Apache mod_expires and Tomcat

Hi all,

We're running Apache backed by Tomcat. The primary reason we're running
Apache is to integrate with another custom module.

We have an app deployed as a single WAR.

However, we'd like to add Expires lines to the .GIFs in the WAR.

mod_expires can be configured to flag specific mime types (i.e. image/gif),
but I'm curious as to whether mod_expires even "sees" these requests?

It's not clear to me how much Apache can intercept and deal with items being
delivered out of the WAR deployed on Tomcat.

Can Tomcat be configured to set an Expire header (essentially, we're trying
to have them "never" expire)?

We're running Tomcat 3.2.

Does Apache simply "map" the WAR that Tomcat explodes and serve directly
from it, save for the configured Servlet and JSP details, or is Tomcat
itself serving these things?

The other alternative is to split the images out completely, but that may be
a bit invasive to all of the code at this time, so I'm hoping to do it
straight from the WAR file.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Thanx!

Best Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)