Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> on 2010/04/03 21:29:57 UTC

JAMES OOM, maybe the cause of MINA ?

Hi all,

we at JAMES use MINA since a while now for our socket stuff. After
doing some stress tests we encountered some OOM Exceptions. The same
was seen by one of our users which use JAMES trunk. After debugging
stuff it seems like the cause of the OOM is MINA. We took some heap
which shows that MINA is takin the most memory. The class which shows
the memory usage was:

org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter$EncodedWriteRequest

I attach the screnshots which shows the problem. Any idea ? We are
using MINA-2.0.0-RC1.

Maybe I'm wrong and the whole OOM is not related to MINA at all..

Thanks,
Norman

Ps: Please keep server-dev in the cc

Re: JAMES OOM, maybe the cause of MINA ?

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
I should think of the attachment stripping on the ml..

You can find the screenshots here:

http://people.apache.org/~norman/oom/

Bye,
Norman

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Norman Maurer
<no...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think thats only because mina-trunk is not using CircularQueue
> anymore. It now seems to use ConcurrentLinkedQueue.
>
> Bye,
> Norman

I remember, Emm removed all references to CircularQueue, but this was
to make it thread safe :)

http://mina.markmail.org/message/xirxdepng3j65w4b?q=CircularQueue#query:CircularQueue+page:1+mid:xirxdepng3j65w4b+state:results

Hmm, not sure why it would hold the references.

Thanks for Heads up..

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Forgot to include JAMES list..

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi,

I finally made some tests with mina-rc2 trying to reproduce the oom.
I didn't succeed to reproduce it when stressing james with normal mails
(well-formed,...).

I would tend to follow the pointer Norman gave about the infinite loop
in the exceptionCaught() method (writing on the session recause and
exception,...)
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/james/server/trunk/smtpserver/src/main/java/org/apache/james/smtpserver/mina/SMTPIoHandler.java?revision=930014&view=markup

I think that some sockets behaving badly may be the cause and tried to
simulate this with long-time opened connection, with garbage being sent
on the sockets,... without success (no exception).

I will now roolback to the previous version of SMTPIoHandler with james
not closing the mina session, and see what I can find.

If you've got some idea of patterns, datas,... to send on the socket to
make mina throw an exception, just post it.

Tks,

Eric

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi Ashish,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi Ashish,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Asish,

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ashish,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ashish,

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ashish,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ashish,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi Ashish,

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
Lets dig this further and finish this off.. :)

Will try to generate this OOM locally... will keep you all posted

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Ashish,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Ashish,

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
Norman,

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
Norman,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Fwd: JAMES OOM, maybe the cause of MINA ?

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Seems like it was only Sent to James ml....

Bye
Norman
You can find some information to download on

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Hi Ashish,

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.