Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mark64 <me...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/09 22:46:56 UTC

Proper Versioning Techniques

Hello,
   I am new to Maven and trying to setup a local repository with various
jars such that I can build my components. The current jar version scheme we
use is as follows:

product-w.x.y.z.jar

Where w.x.y.z are numbers defined as follows:

w = major release. Does not change often
x = minor release. Changes only when we branch within a release
y = QA build release. This will change whenever we build the jar for a
release to QA
z = Could change nightly with a nightly build.

Using this scheme, after I build each jar and add it to the repository, I
would need to change the version of the jar that is listed in my parent pom.
As a side comment, I would only add jars to the repository that are going to
QA.

This means that if I follow this scheme, I will not be able to build all my
components with a single command because as jars are built and added to the
repository, when a build comes along that depends on the new jar I just
built, it will still pickup the older version. I was curious how others
handle this.

1) Is there syntax in maven that will allow a build to pickup the latest
version of a jar in the repository?

2) Is there a plugin for maven that as a jar is built and added to the repo,
it will automatically update the version for the jar in the parent pom?

OR

Do many users tend to build jars without a version in the name or a minimal
version that does not change often?

For example:
product-w.x.jar

You could build 10 versions of this jar for qa but w.x will always be the
same.
(The only problem I see with this is there is more leg work that goes into
making sure you have the correct version to deploy in QA and then to
customers.)

Any insight, comments or ideas for a new maven user would be appreciated
very much.

Regards,
Mark