Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Weber <mw...@alliednational.com> on 2004/11/10 16:53:51 UTC

whitelist_from not working, sometimes

Greetings!

I have a file, local-names.cf, in the /etc/mail/spamassassin directory
which is a list of addresses I need to whitelist.  It seems to work,
except for one sender.  Here is the line from the .cf file:

whitelist_from           LABONE.com

This never triggers when I receive mail with a header that looks like
the one below.  I have seen emails with all caps like the line above, I
have also seen emails with LabOne.com or labone.com in the header.  I
have tried all of these variations and it really looks like my
local-names.cf file is being ignored.  Except that other emails from
other domains have spam headers that say the whitelist rule triggered
just like it should.  Any ideas on where to look?

From: "Support LabOne" <su...@labone.com>
To: ithelp@alliednational.com
Subject: %%SPAM%% (5.3) HIPAA
Date: Tue Nov  9 16:50:53 2004

What gives?

TIA!

-Michael

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This communication and any
attached or enclosed files may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, proprietary and/or
otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable
law ("Confidential Information").  Any review,
retransmission, publication, dissemination,
distribution, forwarding, printing, copying, storing, saving
or other use or disclosure of this communication and/or the
Confidential Information, or taking any action in reliance
thereon, by an individual or entity other than the intended
recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.

This communication and the Confidential Information are
intended solely for the use of the individual(s) and/or
entity(ies) to which this communication is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient(s) (or responsible
for delivery to said recipient(s)), please be advised
that you have received this communication in error and
have an obligation to promptly inform the sender by reply
e-mail or facsimile and to permanently delete, shred or
otherwise destroy, in its entirety, this original communication
and all copies thereof, whether in electronic or hard copy format.

Re: whitelist_from not working, sometimes

Posted by hi...@free.fr.
I use :

whitelist_from *@domain-name

and it works good.
/Hitete

Re: whitelist_from not working, sometimes

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 10:53 AM 11/10/2004, Michael Weber wrote:
>I have a file, local-names.cf, in the /etc/mail/spamassassin directory
>which is a list of addresses I need to whitelist.  It seems to work,
>except for one sender.  Here is the line from the .cf file:
>
>whitelist_from           LABONE.com
>
>This never triggers when I receive mail with a header that looks like
>the one below.  I have seen emails with all caps like the line above, I
>have also seen emails with LabOne.com or labone.com in the header.  I
>have tried all of these variations and it really looks like my
>local-names.cf file is being ignored.  Except that other emails from
>other domains have spam headers that say the whitelist rule triggered
>just like it should.  Any ideas on where to look?

I'd suggest looking at man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf, section on whitelist_from

If you want to match *@LABONE.com you need to put that in your
whitelist_from. Otherwise, it should only match mail that is literally
"From: labone.com"

There's no implicit sub-string matching in whitelist_from that I'm aware
of. You need to insert file-glob style wildcards where you need them.