Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net> on 2008/04/10 01:28:40 UTC

backwards-compatibility testing!

I've updated the expectations on trunk so that you can cleanly run the
test suite against 1.4.x svnserve or DAV.  You do this by adding
SERVER_MINOR_VERSION=4 with make check, or --server-minor-version 4 to
run_tests.py or a specific Python test.

On my machine, all tests do pass (or are properly skipped).

Additionally, you can run 1.4.x tests against 1.5.x servers without
special flags and they should pass (though I think it wasn't until at
least 1.4.6, or possibly HEAD-of-1.4.x-branch, that I tweaked a few
error message expectations to pass).

I highly encourage people testing release candidates to run these
tests; I already today found a serious regression (svnsync couldn't
sync to pre-1.5 servers over ra_svn) from doing this.

I will nominate the appropriate revisions for backport to 1.5.x
tomorrow (it'll probably need a branch).  (Lieven, can you deal with
nominating the svnsync changes?)

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: backwards-compatibility testing!

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be>.
David Glasser wrote:
> I've updated the expectations on trunk so that you can cleanly run the
> test suite against 1.4.x svnserve or DAV.  You do this by adding
> SERVER_MINOR_VERSION=4 with make check, or --server-minor-version 4 to
> run_tests.py or a specific Python test.
>
> On my machine, all tests do pass (or are properly skipped).
>
> Additionally, you can run 1.4.x tests against 1.5.x servers without
> special flags and they should pass (though I think it wasn't until at
> least 1.4.6, or possibly HEAD-of-1.4.x-branch, that I tweaked a few
> error message expectations to pass).
>
> I highly encourage people testing release candidates to run these
> tests; I already today found a serious regression (svnsync couldn't
> sync to pre-1.5 servers over ra_svn) from doing this.
>
> I will nominate the appropriate revisions for backport to 1.5.x
> tomorrow (it'll probably need a branch).  (Lieven, can you deal with
> nominating the svnsync changes?)

The svnsync fixes were proposed for backport in r30483.

Lieven