Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Joe Pruitt <j....@f5.com> on 2002/10/18 18:28:02 UTC

RE: SOAP based FTP server , some academic issues, opinions needed !

SOAP was designed to be transport independent.  It's only that most of the implementations support http(s) as the default transport.  I do know that with Apache you can create your SOAP call and serialize it to a string to use for your own transport.  I'm not sure if they support native sockets but I'd be surprised if they don't.   I do know that several of the other packages out there in other languages support SMTP/POP, raw sockets, etc as an option.  I think it is completely viable to use any transport mechanism that you require for you application.  The only thing you need to worry about is interoperability with other product implementations of either your client or server end of the pipe.  If you control both, then the transport shouldn't matter.

-Joe

Posted by Paris Apostolopoulos <pa...@freemail.gr>.
Hi Paramdeep Singh, thanks for your reply

Probably I did not describe it correct. I am sorry.

I am trying to implement a file server/client (similar to FTP) for file
download/upload .

The protocol that I have to use is a custom made protocol based on SOAP
messages.

The thing I was mentioning is , whether to have these SOAP messages over
HTTP , or simple on top of plain streams!

And as I had mentioned I am not so sure if the HTTP wrapper in my SOAP
messages would be necessary for my implementation.

Thanks for your time

Papo

Posted by PAPO <pa...@freemail.gr>.
Thanks for your reply!

>From those I have seen till now , i think that Apache SOAP is the most
convenient , because it lets tou deal with the Envelope only in a quite
flexible way , Axis in far more web services oriernted.But anyway when
it comes to dealing only with the plain XML thing , the Axis and Apache
SOAP are offering almost the same flexibility!

Another solution would be a re-inventing the wheel solution , using only
Apache Xerces.Because my protocol is not going to define any huge
envelopes , eg
CD -> ChangeDirectory ( DirName) , I was thinking of creating with
Xerces custom made SOAP envelopes.The thing is I dont know if I am going
to be accused of actually not implementing SOAP in a proper manner!

Thanks again!
A.P

Posted by PAPO <pa...@freemail.gr>.
Thanks for your reply!

RE: SOAP based FTP server , some academic issues, opinions needed!