Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2016/04/01 03:23:46 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Karaf 4.0.5 release

Hi all,

I submit Karaf Container 4.0.5 release to your vote.

Release Note:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12334629

Staging Repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1059/

Git tag:
karaf-4.0.5

Please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release
[ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf 4.0.5 release

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Guys,

Can we have all feedback about this release.

If we have -1, I will cancel the vote, revert KARAF-4255, and cut a new
release today.

Else, with +1, I will close the vote today.

I will cast my vote after a couple of tests.

Please, update me asap.

Thanks,
Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Markus Rathgeb <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de>.
Hi,
i wouldn't veto the release. it is still an improvement for me.
As you can see 4255 was originally opened by me (could not find it
yesterday). I already worked around this problem one way, now i work around
it another way.
I am not sure what the percentage of custom distributions is, especially
ones leaving out stuff involved in conditionals, but I would rather just
document it with the release.

Of course still looking forward to resolving the resolving issue :)

Because of that I vote

+1 (non-binding)

Fabian

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I think the issue you see is related to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-4255 .
It seems karaf needs the conditional bundles when doing the resolve. So I
am in favour of reverting the change and look into the change above for next
release with the goal of making it work completely.

So I propose to roll back the change and create a new release without it
for 4.0.5. If JB does not have the time I can take care of that.

Christian

> Guess thats it:
>
> https://github.com/apache/karaf/commit/1b7ddc8e1da0f6d70586c7b76f4992a3f0c64f52
>
> i would love to keep the new behaviour, as it doesn't bloat my
> distribution with stuff i do not need, but the runtime should not download
> it then when running.
>
> Fabian
>
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Fabian Lange <fabian.lange@codecentric.de
> > wrote:
>
>> just checked with 4.0.4
>> In 4.0.4 the (unnecessary) conditional dependency is packaged into system
>> directory of distribution.
>> So i would qualify this as regression.
>>
>> Fabian
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Fabian Lange <
>> fabian.lange@codecentric.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, not sure if this is a regression.
>>>
>>> I have "jaas" but not "aries-blueprint" still this jar is downloaded:
>>> <conditional>
>>>   <condition>aries-blueprint</condition>
>>>   <bundle start-level="30"
>>> start="true">mvn:org.apache.karaf.jaas.blueprint/org.apache.karaf.jaas.blueprint.config/4.0.5</bundle>
>>>  </conditional>
>>>
>>> i have "scr" but neither "management" nor "webconsole, yet these
>>> download:
>>>
>>>         <conditional>
>>>             <condition>management</condition>
>>>             <bundle
>>> start-level="30">mvn:org.apache.karaf.scr/org.apache.karaf.scr.management/4.0.5</bundle>
>>>         </conditional>
>>>         <conditional>
>>>             <condition>webconsole</condition>
>>>             <bundle
>>> start-level="30">mvn:org.apache.felix/org.apache.felix.inventory/1.0.4</bundle>
>>>             <bundle
>>> start-level="30">mvn:org.apache.felix/org.apache.felix.webconsole.plugins.ds/2.0.2</bundle>
>>>         </conditional>
>>>
>>> if it is not a regression this should not block the release, but it
>>> should be fixed.
>>>
>>> Fabian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Posted by Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de>.
Guess thats it:

Posted by Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de>.
just checked with 4.0.4

Posted by Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de>.

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 10:19 PM, Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de>
wrote:

> Ok, this was with
>           <ignoreDependencyFlag>true</ignoreDependencyFlag>
>
> with
>           <ignoreDependencyFlag>false</ignoreDependencyFlag>
>
> it still is missing some stuff which is downloaded at runtime:
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> These seem to be conditional plugins, however none of the conditions is
> true :(
> Fabian
>
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 9:57 PM, Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> i am currently trying to get my custom distribution running.
>> Usually a lot of stuff is put into the system folder, however after the
>> upgrade a lot of dependencies are downloaded at startup, so my distribution
>> was lacking them.
>>
>> here is a screenshot of the libs downloaded after start, not part of my
>> distribution:
>> [image: Inline image 1]
>>
>> I assume some feature definition is not respected correctly?
>>
>> Fabian
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I submit Karaf Container 4.0.5 release to your vote.
>>>
>>> Release Note:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12334629
>>>
>>> Staging Repository:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1059/
>>>
>>> Git tag:
>>> karaf-4.0.5
>>>
>>> Please vote to approve this release:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>>> [ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)
>>>
>>> This vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards

Posted by Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de>.
Ok, this was with

Posted by Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
-1 (binding)

I just tested and Karaf 4.0.5 standard distribution doesn't start
without Internet connection (related to condition change discussed in
the other thread):

2016-04-04 12:45:09,525 | INFO  | pool-7-thread-1  | FeaturesServiceImpl
              | 9 - org.apache.karaf.features.core - 4.0.5 | Adding
features: instance/[4.0.5,4.0.5], package/[4.0.5,4.0.5],
log/[4.0.5,4.0.5], ssh/[4.0.5,4.0.5], aries-blueprint/[4.0.5,4.0.5],
framework/[4.0.5,4.0.5], system/[4.0.5,4.0.5], feature/[4.0.5,4.0.5],
shell/[4.0.5,4.0.5], management/[4.0.5,4.0.5], service/[4.0.5,4.0.5],
jaas/[4.0.5,4.0.5], shell-compat/[4.0.5,4.0.5], deployer/[4.0.5,4.0.5],
diagnostic/[4.0.5,4.0.5], wrap/[0,0.0.0], bundle/[4.0.5,4.0.5],
config/[4.0.5,4.0.5], kar/[4.0.5,4.0.5]
2016-04-04 12:45:09,632 | WARN  | pool-10-thread-3 | AetherBasedResolver
              | 5 - org.ops4j.pax.logging.pax-logging-api - 1.8.5 |
Error resolving
artifactorg.apache.karaf.deployer:org.apache.karaf.deployer.blueprint:jar:4.0.5:Could
not transfer artifact
org.apache.karaf.deployer:org.apache.karaf.deployer.blueprint:jar:4.0.5
from/to central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/): repo1.maven.org:
unknown error
shaded.org.eclipse.aether.resolution.ArtifactResolutionException: Could
not transfer artifact
org.apache.karaf.deployer:org.apache.karaf.deployer.blueprint:jar:4.0.5
from/to central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/): repo1.maven.org:
unknown error

For me it's severe regression, and we can't release like this.

I cancel this release and fix that. I will submit a new release to vote
later today.

Regards
JB

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding).

Thanks JB!
 --
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Let me check first the current status of the standard Karaf
distribution: if we have issue there, then I will cancel the vote ;)

Give me 30 minutes ;)

Thanks !
Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
By the way, what I'm testing now is if the standard Karaf distribution
is affected: if the standard Karaf distribution doesn't work, then I
will vote -1 and I will cancel the vote. Else, I think we can live with
it up to 4.0.6.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Markus,

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
I'll vote +0 (binding)

regards, Achim

--

Apache Member
Project Lead

Re: [VOTE] Apache Karaf 4.0.5 release

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1 (non binding)

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Apache Karaf 4.0.5 release

Posted by Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de>.
Yay
+1 already :)

Fabian

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I did something more "drastic" to test:
- remove all .m2/repository
- edit etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg and remove all repositories

This way, if the artifact is not in system, I can see it.

Actually, I already tested and reverted this afternoon. I also updated
some dependencies just in time, like FileInstall (as you needed it ;)).

Regards
JB

On 04/04/2016 09:37 PM, Fabian Lange wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks for taking care, JB!
>
> I can share with you how I can easily discover such stuff:
> My etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg looks like this:
>
> org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.defaultRepositories=file:${karaf.home}/${karaf.default.repository}@id
> =system.repository@snapshots
> org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.settings=${karaf.etc}/mvn-settings.xml
>
> and the mvn-settings.xml looks like this:
>
> <settings xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.0.0"
>            xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>            xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.0.0
>                                http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.0.0.xsd
> ">
>    <localRepository>data/repo</localRepository>
> </settings>
>
> This way, all at runtime downloaded stuff goes into data/repo and I can
> easily check if this is ok, or was supposed to be packaged into the
> distribution at build time
>
> Hope that helps,
> Fabian
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Due to the discussion and -1, I cancel this release to prepare a new one.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 04/01/2016 03:23 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I submit Karaf Container 4.0.5 release to your vote.
>>>
>>> Release Note:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12334629
>>>

>>> Staging Repository:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachekaraf-1059/
>>>
>>> Git tag:
>>> karaf-4.0.5
>>>
>>> Please vote to approve this release:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>>> [ ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)
>>>
>>> This vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Apache Karaf 4.0.5 release

Posted by Fabian Lange <fa...@codecentric.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--