Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Henrik Ridder <he...@partitur.se> on 2001/10/04 14:12:52 UTC

Increse user load

Hi

I woundering how you increse the user load. I have a auth-file with a
couple of users but it seems that
jmeter is only using the first one in the file.

Mybe I'am doing something wrong.
I have the lastest CVS version of jmeter compiled with jdk1.2.2 Freebsd

Thanks

Henrik

Re: Increse user load

Posted by Henrik Ridder <he...@partitur.se>.

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, kevin hammond wrote:

> As far as I know, JMeter does not really simulate
> multiple users.  Instead, it simulates multiple
> instances (threads) of a single "user".  I know it
> sounds a little confusing, but let me describe it
> better with a concrete example.  [If any of this is
> incorrect, please correct me.  We really need to
> clearly describe this in the user's guide.]

That's what I thought to. But thanks for clearing that up. Are there
any plans for that in the future?

> The HTTP Authorization table can contain many entries.
> However, JMeter does not randomly select a particular
> user to login as.  Instead, JMeter looks at the Base
> URL you provide and the URL that you are requesting
> and.  If there is a match, it will send a single (the
> first?) match that it finds. So, you could have five
> users with the same Base URL (for example, "/login"),
> but only one of these users will be chosen and it will
> be the same user every time.
>
> I can investigate it further.  Henrik, if you could
> provide us with an example of why you would like
> multiple users, then that would help us.

Well It's just as you explained (see bellow). We have a web-base
application (a e-learning application) that we want to investigate
how many user you can have at the same time to find the bottle-necks.
But to make it real we want to use different user and
not the same over and over again. But for now it's ok.

I can use the same user or I can add new threads.

> I can think of an example of where this could be a
> problem.  Let's say that you have a system and you
> want to simulate 100 users.  When you run JMeter, you
> will get 100 logins for the same user ID (defined in
> the Authorization table).  The application may not
> allow a user to be logged in multiple times.
>
> I think we have a similar issue with cookies.
>
> Comments, questions?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin Hammond

Thanks for the quick response