Posted to dev@hudi.apache.org by Gary Li <ya...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/13 12:58:09 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Improve Hudi release process

Hi everyone,

Let's discuss how to improve the release process of Hudi in this thread.
The goal is to release Hudi more frequently and hardening the reliability
of the release.

How about dividing the release into major version release and minor version
release. The major version depends on the master branch and the minor
version only includes bugfix of the previous major release. For example,
after the 0.8.0 release, we cut the master branch to 0.9.0, and prepare
another branch 0.8.1 to include new bugfix commits only.

Minor version release we could make it monthly, and it will also be easier
for users to upgrade since there are no large changes with the code. A
bi-monthly release for the major release sounds like a reasonable number
for me.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Gary Li

Re: [DISCUSSION] Improve Hudi release process

Posted by Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org>.
Just to add a bit of context. Last 0.7.0 release, I spent almost 3 weeks,
just blocked on CI/travis slow ness

- Raymond's work on moving to Azure CI would for e.g help us there.
- The integ-test-suite has to grow to get more and more harder/test defs
there
- We need more automated compat/perf tests (I am thinking about these)

Thanks
Vinoth

Posted by Gary Li <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinoth Chandar <vi...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Thanks for getting this started. Last time we discussed this and formulated
[1], we suggested to move away from doing
what I call "patch releases" - i.e cherry-pick changes from master onto a
previous major/minor release. The reason was
that it actually is much harder to certify those releases, error prone
cherry-pick process, higher overhead of just even cherry-picking to
prepare.
We went through this with 0.5.3 IIRC

That being said, I am in favor of monthly releases and most of all, the
blocker there IMO is the CI/test infrastructure.
We need to be able to get to a point, where we can release in a day (except
for process), with well designed release qualification jobs and so forth.

Once we have that, we could reconsider patch releases again. Until then, we
always assume its a minor release on master and proceed accordingly,
during release time, depending on features that are certified, we can
upgrade to a major one? thoughts?

Thanks
Vinoth

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HUDI/Release+Management