Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2018/01/01 10:27:58 UTC

A problem on OO Debian versions?

Out of interest, I am testing the limits of Writer on largeish documents, edited as one unit (i.e., not as Master Documents).

In Writer I have a large test file, 1.6 MB, prepared some time ago on earlier versions of OO (certainly on OO 3.x, possibly on OO 2.x); this file has ~2,500 A5 pages and uses Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles; when I open it on my normal machines running Xubuntu 16.04.3 and make some change to the Table of Contents, OO 4 versions freeze, taking perhaps two hours to rebuild the ToC.  If I open it and make the same change on an RPM based distro or Windows, the ToC is rebuilt in a few seconds (~10 secs).

I have tested this on Xubuntu 16.04.3 (XFCE), Ubuntu 16.04.3 (Gnome), Debian 9.30 (XFCE), all showing the same freeze.

On Centos 7 and Antergos 17.12 (RPM distros) ToC rebuilds in about 10 seconds.

On Windows XP, ToC rebuild is about 10 seconds.

I can email the test file to any member of the DEV list who is interested.  The file itself is of no importance, except as a test example.

I am grateful for the help of Kay Schenk in this matter.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: A problem on OO Debian versions?

Posted by Jose R R <jo...@metztli.com>.
Niltze [hello], Rory-

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 2:27 AM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> Out of interest, I am testing the limits of Writer on largeish documents, edited as one unit (i.e., not as Master Documents).
>
> In Writer I have a large test file, 1.6 MB, prepared some time ago on earlier versions of OO (certainly on OO 3.x, possibly on OO 2.x); this file has ~2,500 A5 pages and uses Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles; when I open it on my normal machines running Xubuntu 16.04.3 and make some change to the Table of Contents, OO 4 versions freeze, taking perhaps two hours to rebuild the ToC.  If I open it and make the same change on an RPM based distro or Windows, the ToC is rebuilt in a few seconds (~10 secs).
>
> I have tested this on Xubuntu 16.04.3 (XFCE), Ubuntu 16.04.3 (Gnome), Debian 9.30 (XFCE), all showing the same freeze.
>
> On Centos 7 and Antergos 17.12 (RPM distros) ToC rebuilds in about 10 seconds.
>
> On Windows XP, ToC rebuild is about 10 seconds.
>
> I can email the test file to any member of the DEV list who is interested.  The file itself is of no importance, except as a test example.

Although I have not had time to build the latest OO 4.1.5, I use daily
my own build of OO 4.1.4 on Debian AMD64.

I am not associated with the OO devs but, out of curiosity, I'd like
to give a spin to your file.

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it

Re: A problem on OO Debian versions?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 01 Jan 2018 18:11:27 +0100
Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > Jose R R wrote:
> >> Issue is present in my computing environment, too.
> > "out of the box" Xubuntu 16.04.3 386 ... There was no problem on that system.
>
> I tested too and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem:
> - 4.1.5 on an RPM-based system (operation took a few seconds)
> - 4.1.0 on an old Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit system, installed from
> official DEBs (operation took a few seconds)
>
> Now it would really help to know if systems where you can reproduce the
> problem show it with the archive/installed builds from trunk too, since
> bugs would be fixed only on trunk anyway.
>
> The best archive build to use to the purpose would be the following:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/linux64/
> (5th entry); it is not a release build, so you shouldn't expect it to
> run on a very old system, but it should be OK for any modern system.
> Just close any running OpenOffice instances, extract the archive, run
> the "openoffice4/program/soffice" file in it and test.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Using a spare computer I'm setting up three installs - Xubuntu 14.04.5. 16.04.3 and 18.04 (all 64 bit)
and I'll try the various suggestions you make, but it will be tomorrow; I'll report back.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
An interim reply - I'm tied up today (and all days to minor extent) with medical treatment - today I have morning and afternoon sessions.

It seems to be the case that the problem is caused by some peculiarity of the operating system.  I have checked on clean Xubuntu 14.04, 16.04 and 18.04 (64 bit) installations, with OpenOffice 4.1.0 and 4.1.5 on each; no problem with rebuilding the Table of Contents on the test file.

However, when I revert the test file to my normal computer (Xubuntu 16.04.03) the ToC takes hours to rebuild.  I tried the old trick of a fresh OO User Profile - no improvement.  This effectively rules out any side effects from all OO extensions installed on my normal computer, reducing the problem probably to some O.S. utilities on the affected computer.

I'll continue to investigate when I have time.

Rory

On Mon, 01 Jan 2018 19:35:33 +0100

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 01 Jan 2018 18:11:27 +0100
Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > Jose R R wrote:
> >> Issue is present in my computing environment, too.
> > "out of the box" Xubuntu 16.04.3 386 ... There was no problem on that system.
>
> I tested too and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem:
> - 4.1.5 on an RPM-based system (operation took a few seconds)
> - 4.1.0 on an old Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit system, installed from
> official DEBs (operation took a few seconds)
>
> Now it would really help to know if systems where you can reproduce the
> problem show it with the archive/installed builds from trunk too, since
> bugs would be fixed only on trunk anyway.
>
> The best archive build to use to the purpose would be the following:
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/linux64/
> (5th entry); it is not a release build, so you shouldn't expect it to
> run on a very old system, but it should be OK for any modern system.
> Just close any running OpenOffice instances, extract the archive, run
> the "openoffice4/program/soffice" file in it and test.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Will do tomorrow.  From my tests I would not have expected the RPM system to have the problem; it is interesting that the problem does not show on the 4.1.0 running on Ubuntu 14.04.  I have an Xubuntu 14.04 downloaded but have not time to try that tonight; I will try with OO 4.1.0 (to verify your result), then with OO 4.1.5, to see if this is OO or system related.  I'll also try the OO 4.2.0 version you indicated.

But these tests will have to be tomorrow - real life calls now!

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 06:36:27 -0800
Jose R R <jo...@metztli.com> wrote:

> Andrea,
>
> Issue is present in my computing environment, too.

I did a further test using an "out of the box" Xubuntu 16.04.3 386 install on an old 386 machine (4GB RAM) and OpenOffice 4.1.5 386 version.  There was no problem on that system.

Rory

Posted by Jose R R <jo...@metztli.com>.
Andrea,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> I have tested this on Xubuntu 16.04.3 (XFCE), Ubuntu 16.04.3 (Gnome), Debian 9.30 (XFCE), all showing the same freeze.
> On Centos 7 and Antergos 17.12 (RPM distros) ToC rebuilds in about 10 seconds.

I wouldn't blame it on the package format, since DEB and RPM versions
have actually the same content. You could even try an
"archive/installed" build (which is basically what they would call a
"live/portable" version today) to rule out that the package format is
the issue.

Buildbots probably supply archive builds: you could install (this means
"unpack" actually, since it's just a ready-to-run installation tree) on
your systems and check it. Let me know if you can't find them.

Assuming the package format is not the issue, then this could be an
interesting performance bug due to some Debian/Ubuntu libraries.

> I can email the test file to any member of the DEV list who is interested.

Please do, thanks. I can run a few tests myself, even though my first
bet would be that you can exclude that this is a packaging issue by
trying with an archive build as detailed above.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: A problem on OO Debian versions?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 23:32:27 +0000
toki <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/01/2018 10:27 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>
> > I have tested this on Xubuntu 16.04.3 (XFCE), Ubuntu 16.04.3 (Gnome), Debian 9.30 (XFCE), all showing the same freeze.
>
> Where are you getting the Debian build from?
>
> jonathon

From the Debian main site.

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.