Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org> on 2003/11/04 01:52:47 UTC

Re: sandbox 'article'

I have not reviewed or (obviously) committed them, although I've made no
other changes to cache either, so your diffs should be as good as they
ever were.

Unfortunately I don't really have time to commit to sheparding patches to
the cache stuff in the jakarta-commons-sandbox.  If you're a Jakarta or
Apache committer, feel free to work with the stuff directly.  Otherwise,
unless another existing committer wants to pick up this cause, my
suggestion would be to move/fork this code to another location and look
toward moving it back when there is a more active community.

You might also try googling for similiar open source cache projects.  I
believe there are others.  The sandboxed cache stuff is perfectly
functional in my experience (I still use it every day in production apps),
but clearly isn't backed by a very strong community.  You could probably
find other projects with as much functionality and a stronger community,
or alternatively, build your own such community from the existing
codebase, assuming you adhere to the ASF license in doing so.

Sorry.  I would be happy to field any questions you may have on this code,
of course.

- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>

[cache] Cache status (was Re: sandbox 'article')

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

> I have not reviewed or (obviously) committed them, although I've made no
> other changes to cache either, so your diffs should be as good as they
> ever were.
>
> Unfortunately I don't really have time to commit to sheparding patches to
> the cache stuff in the jakarta-commons-sandbox.  If you're a Jakarta or
> Apache committer, feel free to work with the stuff directly.  Otherwise,
> unless another existing committer wants to pick up this cause, my
> suggestion would be to move/fork this code to another location and look
> toward moving it back when there is a more active community.
>
> You might also try googling for similiar open source cache projects.  I
> believe there are others.  The sandboxed cache stuff is perfectly
> functional in my experience (I still use it every day in production apps),
> but clearly isn't backed by a very strong community.  You could probably
> find other projects with as much functionality and a stronger community,
> or alternatively, build your own such community from the existing
> codebase, assuming you adhere to the ASF license in doing so.

I suspect that one reason that a community hasn't sprouted around this
package is that there's really no indication of what it is, unless you
start digging around in the code itself. The link from the web site takes
you to viewcvs, and the README file tells you how to build it, but not
what it is, or why someone might want to use it.

I'm not personally interested in this component, but I suspect that if it
was given just a little TLC, it might have a much better chance of getting
off the ground here in the sandbox, if that's what people want to see.

--
Martin Cooper