Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2005/08/26 19:48:17 UTC

X-Powered-By (was Re: survey)

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 12:47 -0400, Adam Prime x443 wrote:
>
>>PHP uses:  X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.11
>>
>>To effectively bypass the front end server problem.
>

> We decided not to do that, since it's intrusive.

I think I remember the discussion, even being against it :)

however, I'm not sure that I made the connection between that header and
backend-proxy statistics...

so, I might be in favor of adding it if

  - we can prove netcraft uses this to determine a php-driven site.  if not
that puts us on an even playing field

  - we can coerce netcraft into translating that into mod_perl usage

  - we have it obey the ServerTokens directive, so if mod_perl doesn't show
up in the server string neither does this

  - we think it actually matters - the vast majority of mod_perl sites out
there won't have this due to software versions, even if we backport it to
mp1 and make a mp1 release, so I'm not sure it would impact our numbers all
that much.

thoughts?

--Geoff

Re: X-Powered-By

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> writes:
>

>>On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 13:48 -0400, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>
>>>thoughts?
>>
>>Totally not worth the trouble.
>>
>>- Perrin
>

> Amen.

:)

--Geoff

Re: X-Powered-By

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 13:48 -0400, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>> thoughts?
>
> Totally not worth the trouble.
>
> - Perrin

Amen.