Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Hilbert Mostert <hi...@systia.es> on 2012/05/15 09:25:21 UTC

Re: Apache batik memory issues *SOLVED*

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for you help. I have more or less solved it by triggering the
garbage collector more than once like you told me earlier.  The answers
are in the replies.

Many thanks!

On 05/15/2012 12:59 AM, DeWeese Thomas wrote:
> Hi Hilbert,
>
> On May 14, 2012, at 2:33 AM, Hilbert Mostert wrote:
>
>> Thanks for paying attention to this. I've measured the values using Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory() and friends. Indeed the process size is very misleading because in one case we had a process size of 5 GB while the free memory was more than 3Gb.
> 	Have you tried explicitly triggering a garbage collection?  Often this does nothing but if you call a few dozen times sometimes you can get it to do something :)
> A more useful way to tell if you really have a leak is to have a graph of memory usage over time.  There is one we use in Squiggle that can be useful to watch.
> Basically anytime you do anything memory usage will grow so what you look for is where the memory lands after a full GC which will occur every now and then.
I have implemented a thread which checks the memory usage every 100
milliseconds. When there is more than 512Mb in use it will trigger the
garbage collector. Sometimes the process permanently grows over 512Mb
the thread will then leave garbage collection at least a whole second.
This strategy works and during conversion the memory never grows above
550Mb anymore. After batiks task has finished the process even uses less
than 128Mb. Thanks for pointing me to this, I have tried starting the
garbage collector before but that was never sufficient.
>> I do have large images but it not a large number, about three and for every student an QR code which are about 150bytes (png) each. These are embedded as base64 encoded data.
> 	Do you have any idea if the images can be shared between the documents or not?  One thing about the PDF transcoder is that it often ends up rasterizing the images which depending on what it thinks it can get away with can cause the images to grow quite considerably.  Are the PDFs you generate on the large side?
I have made a mistake, I use a unique qr code per student per exam, this
is necessary so the number of images is large and the size is not. Size
of the final PDF file is not really important. I have limited it to
blocks of 500 students, this works.
>> I am not using much features of Batik, it is mainly replacing text content in specific SVG elements and then converting them into PDF using the PDFTransposer provided in the Apache Batik 1.7 package.
>>
>> What I have noticed is that there is a CleanerThread created when I start generating PDF files but it never runs, it is always in waiting state. Is there a command which triggers this thread?
> 	The cleaner thread is used to clear out caches when soft referenced objects are cleared by a run of the garbage collector.  It may just mean that your images aren't generating much cached stuff or it may mean that the garbage collector hasn't felt the need to be particularly agressive about clearing out memory (although I would have thought that by the time you reach 5GB it would have felt the need a few times).
Thats indeed interesting, when i have time i will take a look if it is
triggered in the new situation.
> 	Also does it just use a lot of memory or does the memory usage grow consistently over time? So no matter how large you set the heap eventually it runs out of memory.
At this moment it only runs out of memory when i merge all the pages
using PDFBox. I have solved this by making files of 500 students, its
much, much less now.