Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> on 2002/11/25 01:59:40 UTC

blank.war vs. struts-blank.war [was: Re: Tools in Struts]

I noticed that the "Struts Applications" project on SourceForge has a
blank.war project and there's also struts-blank.war that is distributed
with Struts.  Which one is best to advertise as a good "starting
package."

I hope to both 1) create an app based on struts advanced features (i.e.
exceptions, tiles, validator, DispatchAction) and 2) create a base app
with a how to about using XDoclet and a persistence layer using
Hibernate or Castor.  The hope is that a new project can start with
this project (i.e. struts-xdoclet.war) and have ant scripts and samples
of how to use Struts with a popular persistence mechanism.

I've been discussing this project with Erik Hatcher and my initial
thoughts are to hand-code some POJO that generate persistent objects
(i.e. using Castor) and ValidatorForms.

Even better (or maybe worse), I'm putting myself on a tight deadline
for this (i.e. 2-3 weeks) so it resembles a real-world project.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: blank.war vs. struts-blank.war [was: Re: Tools in Struts]

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:11:12 -0500
> From: Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: blank.war vs. struts-blank.war [was: Re: Tools in Struts]
>
> XDoclet already ships with builtin struts-config.xml generation,
> validatio.xml generation, and Struts form bean generation (from entity
> beans, and maybe for value objects?).

Based on which Erik makes a pretty interesting case that DynaBeans don't
add a tremendous amount of value :-).  I still like them as the basis for
future work towards more "dynamic" dynamic form beans, where the set of
properties is not predefined, but auto-generation of ActionForm subclasses
does indeed reduce the delta value.

> I'm not sure what is needed to make the presentation of this stuff
> better, but its all there for the taking and works very nicely.  It
> would be good for the Struts pieces to be maintained by the Struts team
> though.

I think that makes sense as well.  Over time, I'd like to see us
accumulate low-level generation tools (for both Java code and the
appropriate configuration files) specific to Struts in the Struts project
itself, and then expose interfaces to easily invoke these tools via
command line scripts, Ant/Maven tasks, and/or plugin APIs for IDEs.

> 	Erik

Craig

Re: blank.war vs. struts-blank.war [was: Re: Tools in Struts]

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Boudrant <b7...@yahoo.fr>.
Oh yes ;)

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.