Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> on 2006/11/10 07:08:34 UTC

Starteam tasks future, need for a Borland license

Hi,

we have talked a bit concerning the Starteam task on the PMC list.

2 facts are to be noted :

- one is that there is no other Ant integration for Starteam than the
one which ships with Ant
- second, the fact that we depend for our builds upon a closed source
library for which the ASF has no license is a problem.

We would like to ask Borland to give the ASF a special license allowing
to use their starteam-sdk.jar as a library to compile against,
and also that they upload their jar file to ibiblio, which would be a
tangible demonstration that they can work with us, and also a practical
measure allowing all ant developers or users to be able to compile the
starteam tasks.

If we cannot get such a license, I wonder whether we should not drop
Starteam fully, not even moving it into an antlib.

Regards,

Antoine

Re: Starteam tasks future, need for a Borland license

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@sun.com>.
Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> there is no other Ant integration for Starteam than the one which
> ships with Ant

Why can't they ship the Ant integration with StarTeam, alongside (or
even inside) starteam-sdk.jar? Then we could drop it from Ant
distributions without harming ST users. For a transition period the task
JAR could be made available as a binary download from ant.apache.org.

-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com  x22801  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org
       http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1