Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/05 17:32:07 UTC

Let's try to release Cordova-Android 4.0.x soon

Hey

I know that we've been talking about this for a while, but I think that
we've let the 4.0.x branch go on for too long without releasing it and
moving it back into mainline.  It's getting super insane feature creep and
I would rather do a 4.0.x and a 5.0.x instead of cramming more stuff into
the current release branch.

I know that we don't really have consensus on the API, and there are some
minor API changes that I want to see, like a renaming of CordovaWebView to
CordovaWebViewInterface, but I think it's better to see this out the door
by the end of 2014 instead of sometime next year, or never.  I'm finishing
off the MozillaView in the next two weeks, and that has been an interesting
experience shedding light on what I think really needs to be
documented/hacked/flensed in the next version of Cordova.

That being said, we need to get the features that we have landed out sooner
rather than later, and while we could try for perfect, we should go with
what we have now for the most part, just to get it out there.

Thoughts?

Joe

Re: Let's try to release Cordova-Android 4.0.x soon

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu Nov 06 2014 at 7:19:58 AM Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> wrote:

> This is high on my list as well, but I'd really like to try switching
> CordovaWebView to a class rather than an interface, and I won't have time
> to do that until close to the end of the month.

If you're going to try this, do this in a feature branch.  Do not commit
these changes in 4.0.x without putting it in a feature branch first. Please
consider the fact that we're already working on third-party WebViews with
the current API and changing the API at this point will delay this release
by months.

> One step along the way we can do right now though is switch 3.x branch over
> to using Gradle by default. WDYT?

I think this should wait until 4.0.x.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.