Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Tony Collen <tc...@hist.umn.edu> on 2002/12/20 08:21:20 UTC

[IMAPGenerator] Any interest?

I have the startings of an IMAPGenerator which (surprise) connects to an
IMAP mail server and downloads a list of messages. Eventually I'd like to
turn it into part of a Cocoon-based webmail app of some sort.

I plan on implementing message downloading, etc, soon.  Is anyone
interested in adding it to scratchpad?

Tony

Tony Collen -- tc@socsci.umn.edu
College of Liberal Arts   University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, West Bank

Re: [IMAPGenerator] Any interest?

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,
<snip/>
> I'm very interested. It's something I had in my mind since long time
> ago. I still haven't figured out exactly, however, if it's better to
> have a Generator or a Source (using the Mozilla Imap URI scheme) for
> IMAP: I tend to prefer the second, but I really don't know what's best.

I think that accessing IMAP/javamail store is very similiar
to accessing a database from an abstract point of view.

you queryfolders or messages (SQL select)
you select message headers, message contents (SQL select)
you copy messages to other folders (SQL insert)
you query message content, setting read flag implictly (SQL update)
you remove message, folder (SQL delete)
you create new folders (SQL create)

Thus like for the SQL stuff in Cocoon
some features will reside in
* action
* generator
* transformer

bye bernhard

Re: [IMAPGenerator] Any interest?

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Tony Collen wrote:
> I have the startings of an IMAPGenerator which (surprise) connects to an
> IMAP mail server and downloads a list of messages. Eventually I'd like to
> turn it into part of a Cocoon-based webmail app of some sort.
>
> I plan on implementing message downloading, etc, soon.  Is anyone
> interested in adding it to scratchpad?

I'm very interested. It's something I had in my mind since long time
ago. I still haven't figured out exactly, however, if it's better to
have a Generator or a Source (using the Mozilla Imap URI scheme) for
IMAP: I tend to prefer the second, but I really don't know what's best.

Anyway, expect some help from me on that. :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo

Re: [IMAPGenerator] Any interest?

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Tony Collen wrote:
>>
>>> I have the startings of an IMAPGenerator which (surprise) connects to an
>>> IMAP mail server and downloads a list of messages. Eventually I'd
>>> like to
>>> turn it into part of a Cocoon-based webmail app of some sort.
>>>
>>> I plan on implementing message downloading, etc, soon.  Is anyone
>>> interested in adding it to scratchpad?
>>

>> Yes, definately. Add it to bugzilla and set me as a reference
>> nicolaken@apache.org.
>
> Why not put it into cocoon-apps?

Yeah why not... because it's not an app? ...yet?
I'd keep it in scratchpad for now, and move it later, but if you have
time to set it up on cocoon-apps to compile and all, go for it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [IMAPGenerator] Any interest?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Tony Collen wrote:
>
>> I have the startings of an IMAPGenerator which (surprise) connects to an
>> IMAP mail server and downloads a list of messages. Eventually I'd
>> like to
>> turn it into part of a Cocoon-based webmail app of some sort.
>>
>> I plan on implementing message downloading, etc, soon.  Is anyone
>> interested in adding it to scratchpad?
>

> Yes, definately. Add it to bugzilla and set me as a reference
> nicolaken@apache.org.

Why not put it into cocoon-apps?

Vadim

Re: [IMAPGenerator] Any interest?