Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Dufresne <Ma...@parks.on.ca> on 2006/04/27 04:07:03 UTC

bayes stuck at nspam 2165

I am using Freebsd 5.4 with Mailscanner-4.52.2-1. I have always encountered this when bayes approaches nspam of arounf 2500. It just locks.

I have had this problem on numerous occassions. My bayes database will not learn anymore than 2165 nspam. It seems to be stuck there. My tokens increase, but nspam doesn't.

If I try and feed it more spam by executing

sa-learn --no-sync --spam --mbox /var/spool/spam

It just hangs.

I can't even run sa-learn --force-expire or sa-learn --sync

It just hangs forever.

Help would be appreciated.

Marc Dufresne, Corporate IT Officer
St. Lawrence Parks Commission
13740 County Road 2
Morrisburg, ON  K0C 1X0

E-mail: Marc.Dufresne@parks.on.ca
Voice: 613-543-3704  Ext#2455
Fax: 613-543-2847
Corporate website: www.parks.on.ca

Re: bayes stuck at nspam 2165

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Marc Dufresne wrote:
> I am using Freebsd 5.4 with Mailscanner-4.52.2-1. I have always encountered this when bayes approaches nspam of arounf 2500. It just locks.
>
> I have had this problem on numerous occassions. My bayes database will not learn anymore than 2165 nspam. It seems to be stuck there. My tokens increase, but nspam doesn't.
>
> If I try and feed it more spam by executing
>
> sa-learn --no-sync --spam --mbox /var/spool/spam
>
> It just hangs.
>
> I can't even run sa-learn --force-expire or sa-learn --sync
>
> It just hangs forever.

How long is forever? (ie: obviously you aborted at some point, but how many
minutes did you wait?)

Can you even run sa-learn --dump magic? (This only needs to lock the bayes DB
R/O, and don't need to wait for a R/W lock)

As for your problem, one thing to check is if you have a bunch of bayes files
with ".expire" in their names laying around in your bayes directory. If this is
the case, MailScanner has been killing off SA expiry runs due to its timeouts.

In that case I would suggest the following:
1) increase your SpamAssassin timeout by a factor of 4 in your MailScanner.conf.

2) shut down MailScanner. (and make sure nothing else is accessing SA)

3) manually delete all the bayes .expire files in your bayes directory. If
things are really bad, you might have to delete the bayes.mutex and let that get
re-created, but I'd make at least one pass at step 4 before trying that path.

4) manually run spamassassin --force-expire. Give it at least 15 minutes to run.
You can add -D to see the debug output if your want to watch what it's doing.

5) restart MailScanner.