Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jonathan Nichols <jn...@pbp.net> on 2004/11/28 05:18:54 UTC

OT how often to reboot?

 >support DSL. I nearly cried when I took that machine down. (I'd even
 >moved it, while still on its UPS, from one side of the room to another
 >when we rearranged the room for better space utilization.)

Oh, that's nothing. :) I had a Sparc 5 that was up for like 520 days. I
moved from Sacramento, CA to Pleasant Hill, CA and I wanted to keep the
uptime. When I moved the network to its new location, I very carefully
untangled everything and the SParc and its SmartUPS were the last things
to go into the truck.
I drove all the way down here and it was the very first thing I got
plugged into the wall outlets.

2 days later, some drunk moron plowed his car into a utility box and
knocked out power to the entire area for more than 8 hours... little
while longer than the UPS was able to last.

Bummer. =/

RE: OT how often to reboot?

Posted by Dan Barker <db...@visioncomm.net>.
OK, I've decided. I'll boot on April Fools' day, whether it needs it or not.
Just to honor the old days.

My UPS is only good for a few minutes - 1200 VA box with 5 servers and a
monitor on it. But the 15KW generator out back has a 250 Gallon Propane
tank, electric start and an Automatic Transfer Switch (under $3K too!
Pleased me no end!). I think I can handle 8 hours; more like 8 days.

As to start-up scripts, my backup Firewall toasted it's hard drive the other
day. I replaced the disk, but rather than restore the contents, I did a copy
from the production box. When booted, I was able to discover the script
error (rc.bandwidthd <> bandwidthd) and DHCP Error (I've added 64 IP's since
the last boot, and they ALL come before the ethernet adapter needing to have
DHCP bound. It seems 2.4 doesn't look that patiently. Now I ifconfig down
everybody but eth2, start dhcpd and then reactivate the bazillion IP's on
eth0. If I did ever have trouble booting the firewall box, I type "Promo" on
the backup, move 3 ethernet cables and then debug at leisure. Maybe I can
wait until April Fools' Day, 2007?

Anybody know how to ifconfig a range on 2.4 (I'm Slackware, if memory
serves)? It seems very odd to have 79 ifconfig eth0:xxx statements just to
pass 64 addresses from eth0 to eth3.

Dan