Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Jack Bates <ms...@freezone.co.uk> on 2009/10/09 06:58:17 UTC

xml catalog

I'm struggling to get Xerces to use an XML catalog

When I try to convert some HTML pages to PDF with Apache FOP, it
complains,

[...]
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 503
for URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
        at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1269)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityManager.setupCurrentEntity(Unknown
Source)
[...]

Here's the complete screenlog,
http://www.sfu.ca/~jdbates/tmp/fop/200910080/screenlog

I understand that w3 restricts access to DTDs by some clients which
generate excessive traffic? but my operating system - Debian -
distributes a local copy of this DTD at /etc/xml/w3c-dtd-xhtml.xml, and
an XML catalog at /etc/xml/catalog

To get Xerces to use this catalog I tried,

* Installed the libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java package which
contains /usr/share/java/xml-commons-resolver-1.1.jar
* Set prefer=public in /etc/xml/resolver/CatalogManager.properties
* Ran FOP with
CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java/xml-commons-resolver-1.1.jar:/etc/xml/resolver:/etc/xml/resolver/CatalogManager.properties

- no luck : (

I'm following this FAQ entry,
http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-xcatalogs.html

- and additionally found this documentation,
http://xml.apache.org/commons/components/resolver/resolver-article.html#ctrlresolver

- but haven't figured out yet how to get FOP to use the local copy of
the DTD

There's additionally an outstanding bug report against the Debian FOP
package, to solve this problem,

Any suggestions how to get Xerces to use the XML catalog - or advice how
to proceed debugging?

I also tried running FOP with the -d option, but among the debugging
messages I didn't find anything useful...

Re: xml catalog

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Jack,

The application using the parser (FOP or whatever) needs to have to set an
EntityResolver on the parser. Xerces has no command line interface like FOP
if that's what you were thinking. There's no system property it recognizes
for this either. A Catalog (i.e. EntityResolver) needs to have been set
programmatically and if you don't have control over that I'm not sure what
else to suggest.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development