Posted to users@maven.apache.org by fa...@mpsa.com on 2005/11/03 11:35:43 UTC

Updating a plugin with ?

Hi,

I've just seen that version 2.0 of the surefire plugin has been released,
so of course I decided to use it. In my pom, I specified the following
lines:
      <build>
            <pluginManagement>
                  <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                              <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin
</artifactId>
                              <version>2.0</version>
                        </plugin>
                  </plugins>
            </pluginManagement>
      </build>

However, when I run "mvn test", Maven didn't try to download version 2.0
and used the local version 2.0-beta-1. Shouldn't Maven try to update the
plugin to the version I specified?
If I specify the plugin (version 2.0) in the <plugins> element of <build>,
then the last version gets downloaded and used, but the
"maven-metadata-central.xml" file is not updated - and therefore 2.0-beta-1
will stay as the default version to use for the plugin. I have to delete
"maven-metadata-central.xml" to force Maven to update the plugin...

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Regards / Cordialement,
Fabrice BELLINGARD
DINQ/DSIN/INSI/EATE/IDVS/AIDV
(+33) (01 61) 45 15 91  -  fabrice.belingard@mpsa.com

Re: Updating a plugin with ?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it sounds like a bug. The version in plugin management should be used.

-U is only for when the version is unspecified.

- Brett

Posted by fa...@mpsa.com.

OK, but then, the question is: the version of a plugin declared in the
<pluginManagement> section is not part of its "configuration"? I mean, if I
have the following in my POM:

      <build>
            <pluginManagement>
                  <plugins>
                        <plugin>

                              <version>2.0</version>
                        </plugin>
                  </plugins>
            </pluginManagement>
      </build>

, doesn't that mean that I want my subprojects to use version 2.0 of the
surefire plugin?
It seems that it doesn't, as Maven does not try to download this version
but uses the 2.0-beta-1 that is installed locally...

Best Regards / Cordialement,
Fabrice BELLINGARD
DINQ/DSIN/INSI/EATE/IDVS/AIDV
(+33) (01 61) 45 15 91  -  fabrice.belingard@mpsa.com

             Emmanuel Venisse
             <emmanuel@veniss
             e.net>                                                   Pour
                                       Maven Users List
             03/11/2005 13:19          <us...@maven.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

                 Veuillez                                            Objet
                répondre à             RE: Updating a plugin with
             Maven Users List          <pluginManagement>?
             <users@maven.apa
                 che.org>

pluginManagement is used for define the default configurztion of a plugin.
Your sub-project can use it without redeclaring all conf if it's the same,
in sub-projects, your declare only groupId and artifactId of the plugin
and m2 will use the conf of parent defined in parent pom. It's the same
mechanism than dependencyManagement

Emmanuel

fabrice.belingard@mpsa.com said:

> Hi Yann,
>
> this does not work - I read on a post from Brett that these options work
> only for the plugin registry  and the plugin registry is not activated by
> default in m2.
> And even when I run the command for the first time today, Maven didn't
try
> any update, so that's why I don't understand what's happening.
>
> Also I must admit that I don't always understand all the differences
> between the <pluginManagement> and <plugins> elements of the <build>
> section...
>
> Best Regards / Cordialement,
> Fabrice BELLINGARD
> DINQ/DSIN/INSI/EATE/IDVS/AIDV
> (+33) (01 61) 45 15 91  -  fabrice.belingard@mpsa.com
>

>              Yann Le Du
>              <leduyann@yahoo.
>              com>
Pour

RE: Updating a plugin with ?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Re: Updating a plugin with ?

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
-cpu uses the plugin registry, -U should update to the latest release
when not using the plugin registry.

-Stephen

On 11/3/05, fabrice.belingard@mpsa.com <fa...@mpsa.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >                               <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin
> > </artifactId>
> >                               <version>2.0</version>
> >                         </plugin>
> >                   </plugins>
> >             </pluginManagement>
> >       </build>
> >
> > However, when I run "mvn test", Maven didn't try to download version 2.0
> > and used the local version 2.0-beta-1. Shouldn't Maven try to update the
> > plugin to the version I specified?
> > If I specify the plugin (version 2.0) in the <plugins> element of
> <build>,
> > then the last version gets downloaded and used, but the
> > "maven-metadata-central.xml" file is not updated - and therefore
> 2.0-beta-1
> > will stay as the default version to use for the plugin. I have to delete
> > "maven-metadata-central.xml" to force Maven to update the plugin...

Stephen Duncan Jr
www.stephenduncanjr.com

RE: Updating a plugin with ?

Posted by fa...@mpsa.com.