Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Kengo Seki <se...@apache.org> on 2020/12/15 23:29:43 UTC

Strange behaviour of website publishing

Hi,

I'm trying to update our website before the release announcement,
but I encountered a strange behaviour of our site publishing Jenkins job.

First, after fixing BIGTOP-3465, I manually ran the job [1].
Timestamps in the website were correctly updated [2].

Then I merged a commit which updates menus and download links [3] and
rerun the job manually [4].
Strangely, that updated some htmls as expected, but also reverted
timestamps and versions in other htmls [5].

I tried to rerun the job again without any change [6].
That recovered the timestamps correctly, but broke a link to the
latest release in release-notes.html [7].

I've not figured out the root cause yet, so I'm going to take the
following actions:

* Stop the daily build of our website temporarily.
* Generate the website locally and push it to the asf-site branch
directly. Then post the 1.5.0 release announcement.
* Investigate the problem using asf-staging branch instead of
asf-site. Once it's resolved, resume the daily build.

[1]: https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/BigTop/job/pipeline-site/69/console
[2]: https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/19f91fde74e7aef445226838b7bb91e6a2f98461
[3]: https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/678375eb75f7367f9114a3ad8087ba40f21444b6
[4]: https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/BigTop/job/pipeline-site/70/console
[5]: https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/40e0d5946e581d3044c1b0b4067423a9a7c5054f
[6]: https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/BigTop/job/pipeline-site/71/console
[7]: https://github.com/apache/bigtop/commit/dbf5d9a0664c35a8b0c28bb0fdd6ebb9d9644615

Kengo Seki <se...@apache.org>

Re: Strange behaviour of website publishing

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi,

The mechanism behind the ASF page deployments is git. So you are checking in a new revision. If the revision of a file is identical to the previous one (not considering the timestamp!) , it will not be included in the patchset deployed on server.

Olaf