Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Rui Alberto L. Gonçalves" <ru...@ptinovacao.pt> on 2004/11/25 17:26:43 UTC

Writing large file in HttpResponse

Hi all,
sorry if this question is off topic,
but I think that someone with good knowledge of the HTTP
protocol might be able to help me.

I'm using Apache cocoon 2.1.5.1 under Tomcat 5.0.25.
Some time ago I wrote a Reader that reads from an InputStream
and writes in the HTTP Response to the client. The response is
a potentially very large text file. (text/csv)

I'm reading and writing at the same time, but it appears to me
that the response is only effectively written to the client when the
OutputStream is closed!

When writing a small file (~3Mb) the client receives the file correctly,
but when the response size grows to 10 or 20 Mb, after a long
delay, the popup (save as ..) appears, but the saved file has 0bytes.

Does anyone have any idea of what I may be missing, or at least point me
in the right direction?

Thanks for any help.

Rui