Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by "Edward J. Sabol" <sa...@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> on 1997/07/31 23:10:02 UTC

mod_include/955: Times (LAST_MODIFIED, DATE_LOCAL, flastmod) not observing daylight savings

>Number:         955
>Category:       mod_include
>Synopsis:       Times (LAST_MODIFIED, DATE_LOCAL, flastmod) not observing daylight savings
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I've tried 1.1, 1.1.3, 1.2b11, and this bug is in all of them.
I haven't yet tried 1.2.1.
I've searched the bug report database and I haven't found any similar reported.

Times are displayed in, for example, the timezone EST, when it should be EDT
during daylight savings. For EST, the time that is printed is technically
correct, but unless you put the timezone (%Z) in your timefmt, it looks like
the times are all off by one hour. Even so, it can be confusing to the user
who may not look closely at the timezone.

Here's a concrete example:

<!--#config timefmt="%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %Z"-->
<!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->

This prints:

1997/07/31 15:49:07 EST

when it should print:

1997/07/31 16:49:07 EDT

The latter is what `/usr/bin/date "+%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S %Z"` prints, by the way.

Also, DATE_GMT really should report the timezone as UTC instead of GMT. Nobody
uses GMT anymore. UTC is the correct universal timezone designation.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Well, other than fixing the bug (sorry, I don't have a patch), I would also
like to suggest an additional feature: How about adding a LAST_MODIFIED_GMT
SSI variable? Or alter timefmt somehow to specify the local timezone and override
the OS%3