Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/15 22:31:12 UTC

Localization Management Service

I'm on various lists related to open source, open data, and liberation technology (and then some). OpenITP helps combat online surveillance and censorship. I used to promote OpenOffice—and now promote Apache OO—with a related ambition: to give people the tools to live in today's world.

OpenITP needs localizers. It would be great if we could all share "resources" (that is, help each other out). I append the link below.

https://openitp.org/localization/l10n.html

Best,
Louis

PS OpenITP uses Transifex. The post from the team reads:

<quote/>

Hello LibTech folks!

We've seen several projects asking for help with translating circumvention tools lately. To address this need, OpenITP has launched the Localization Management Service (LMS) to cultivate a community of volunteers to help with these goals.

We are actively looking for individuals who want to help combat online surveillance and censorship worldwide. If you speak a second language (or more!) and are a fan of circumvention tools, we want to hear from you!

What are some of tools we work on?
Tor, Lantern, Cryptocat, Orbot, Psiphon, Commotion Wireless, GlobaLeaks, Martus, and more. A list of the current hub projects and other useful links can be found here: https://openitp.org/localization/l10n.html

If you have a project that needs localization and would like to join the hub, let us know! We will show you the features and benefits of Transifex and we can help you get your project set up.

How Do I Contribute?
We use a web based localization platform called Transifex to translate software strings, documentation, video subtitles and other materials that support the tools. If you have not created an account with Transifex, you can do so here: https://www.transifex.com/signin/?next=/start/

Once you sign up, let us know your Transifex nickname so we can add you to the language teams on our hub projects.

How Much Time is Required?
While there is no set time commitment, most of our members contribute a few hours a month, and you can play a key role in shaping tools used by people under oppressive regimes and ensure they can participate in a free and open Internet.

What Will I be Localizing and Testing?
You will be translating software, documentation, video, graphics, and websites. Basically, anything that is required for individuals to both learn and properly use these tools. Once a translation is complete, community members should test the tools and provide any cultural, linguistic, user experience, and technical input you have for developers.

Next Steps?
Let us know you are interested by emailing us at infol10n@openitp.org. If you have questions, please reach out as well.

Lastly, please fill out our short survey! This will help us better understand how to improve our services to our community of volunteers! http://bit.ly/1aXqEMn

Best,

OpenITP Localization Management Service Team

</quote>