Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Trainor <in...@hostinthebox.net> on 2005/07/11 19:40:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Server seems busy, StartServers, Min/MaxSpareServers

Hello, all -

This is a subject that's been discussed on the list before, but an
answer never was quite found.

I've got a rather busy site, and often times I get some of the following
pieces of info in my log:

[Mon Jul 11 12:33:17 2005] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 8 children,
there are 55 idle, and 278 total children
[Mon Jul 11 12:33:18 2005] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 16 children,
there are 60 idle, and 286 total children

Something to that effect.

I was told once that StartServers should be rather high for a busy site.
 StartServers is set to 64.  I was also told that MinSpareServers and
MaxSpareServers should be relative to StartServers, being two's
compliment, but it would take some time to figure out the exact
combination of the three items.  MaxClients is set to 1024, with some
httpd.h editry.  The machine is a P4 2.8 w/1G RAM.  It's not the most
ballsy, but I know it can handle the load.

So I guess I'm wondering now, what would be some more appropriate
settings, so that I do not risk clients being cut off when they visit
the sites.

Of course, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-dant

Re: [users@httpd] Server seems busy, StartServers, Min/MaxSpareServers

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 7/13/05, Dan Trainor <in...@hostinthebox.net> wrote:
> Dan Trainor wrote:
> > Hello, all -
> >
> > This is a subject that's been discussed on the list before, but an
> > answer never was quite found.
> >
> > I've got a rather busy site, and often times I get some of the following
> > pieces of info in my log:
> >
> > [Mon Jul 11 12:33:17 2005] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
> > increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 8 children,
> > there are 55 idle, and 278 total children
> > [Mon Jul 11 12:33:18 2005] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
> > increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 16 children,
> > there are 60 idle, and 286 total children
> >
> > Something to that effect.
> >
> > I was told once that StartServers should be rather high for a busy site.
> >  StartServers is set to 64.  I was also told that MinSpareServers and
> > MaxSpareServers should be relative to StartServers, being two's
> > compliment, but it would take some time to figure out the exact
> > combination of the three items.  MaxClients is set to 1024, with some
> > httpd.h editry.  The machine is a P4 2.8 w/1G RAM.  It's not the most
> > ballsy, but I know it can handle the load.
> >
> > So I guess I'm wondering now, what would be some more appropriate
> > settings, so that I do not risk clients being cut off when they visit
> > the sites.
> >
> > Of course, any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -dant
> >

> Hi -
>
> Just checking up on this one to see if anyone wouldn't mind giving me a
> hand.

Well, you already got one response, and you haven't given us the
details of your configuraiton, nor have you really told if anything is
wrong besides the warnings.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Server seems busy, StartServers, Min/MaxSpareServers

Posted by Dan Trainor <in...@hostinthebox.net>.