Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erwin Gunadi <fe...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/25 14:23:53 UTC

Performance problem on Solr query on stemmed values

Hi,

I would like to know whether anyone have experienced this kind of phenomena.

We are having performance problem regarding query on stemmed value.

I've documented the symptoms which I'm currently facing:

Search on field content

Search on field spell

Highlighting (on content field)

Processing speed

active

active

Active

Slow

active

not active

Active

Fast

active

active

not active

Fast

not active

active

Active

Slow

not active

active

not active

Fast

*Fast means 1000x faster than "slow".

Field Content is our index field, which holds original text, and spell is
the field with stemmed value.

According to my measurement result, search on both fields (stemmed and not
stemmed) is really fast.

But when I start to take highlighting into our query it takes too long to
process.

Best Regards

Erwin

RE: Performance problem on Solr query on stemmed values

Posted by Erwin Gunadi <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick,

thank you for the reply.
Yes, I'm using the fast vector highlighter (Solr 4.3). Every request should
only deliver 10 results.

Here is my schema configuration on both field:
<fieldType name="text" class="solr.TextField" positionIncrementGap="100">
	<analyzer type="index">
		<tokenizer class="solr.StandardTokenizerFactory" />
catenateWords="1" catenateNumbers="1" catenateAll="1"
			preserveOriginal="1" />
		<filter class="solr.ASCIIFoldingFilterFactory" />
	</analyzer>
	<analyzer type="query">
		<tokenizer class="solr.StandardTokenizerFactory" />
		<filter class="solr.ASCIIFoldingFilterFactory" />
	</analyzer>
	<analyzer type="multiterm">
		<tokenizer class="solr.WhitespaceTokenizerFactory" />
		<filter class="solr.ASCIIFoldingFilterFactory" />
	</analyzer>
</fieldType>
<fieldType name="textSpell" class="solr.TextField"
positionIncrementGap="100" omitNorms="true">
	<analyzer type="index">
		<tokenizer class="solr.StandardTokenizerFactory" />
		<filter class="solr.SnowballPorterFilterFactory"
language="German2" />
		<filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory" />
		<filter class="solr.RemoveDuplicatesTokenFilterFactory" />
		<filter class="solr.ShingleFilterFactory" />
	</analyzer>
	<analyzer type="query">
		<tokenizer class="solr.StandardTokenizerFactory" />
		<filter class="solr.SnowballPorterFilterFactory"
language="German2" />
		<filter class="solr.StandardFilterFactory" />
		<filter class="solr.RemoveDuplicatesTokenFilterFactory" />
	</analyzer>
	<analyzer type="multiterm">
		<tokenizer class="solr.WhitespaceTokenizerFactory" />
		<filter class="solr.ASCIIFoldingFilterFactory" />
	</analyzer>
</fieldType>
<field name="spell" type="textSpell" indexed="true" multiValued="true" />
<field name="content" type="text" stored="true" indexed="true"
multiValued="true" termVectors="true" termPositions="true"
termOffsets="true" />

Field content contains in average around 5000 - 6000 words (only rough
estimation).

Best regards
Erwin

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.